How many fards (obligations) are there in salah (prayer) and what are they?
Submitted by on Sun, 03/05/2015 - 21:28
Dear Brother / Sister,
The (fards) requirements of salah are twelve. Six of these must be performed before salah. They are as follows:
1) Spiritual Cleanliness (Hadath), 2) Removing najasah, 3) covering private parts (Awrah), 4) facing the Qiblah, 5) time 6) Niyyah (intention). They are called the conditions of Salah.
The other six are fards must be performed after starting the prayer: 1) Takbir al-Iftitah (starting takbir) 2) Qiyam (Standing) 3) Qira'ah (Reciting/reading the Quran) 4) Ruku (bowing) 5)Sajdah (prostration) 6) sitting in the length of reciting at-tahiyyat in the last sitting. They are called "rukuns (parts) of Salah". Apart from these, there are also other rukuns such as tadil al-arkan and quitting prayer of one’s own accord.
Questions on Islam
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- When should one make niyyah (intention) while praying in congregation? Is it all right to make niyyah before the imam utters takbir?
- Eid and Eid Prayers
- Is Jumuah Salah (Friday prayer) not fard for women according to four madhhabs?
- What are Tashriq Takbirs? When are they Uttered?
- When should the congregation stand for the prayer? (Before the Iqama (call to prayer) or after it)
- When did the five daily prayers become fard?
- Can you give some information about not performing salah relying on the idea that sooner or later Allah will forgive me. Will there be a difference between those who perform their salahs and those who do not perform their salahs?
- What is the decree for performing salah in congregation according to the madhhabs?
- While performing salah, does making salutations before the imam invalidate the salah?