What is the decree for performing salah in congregation according to the madhhabs?
Submitted by on Sat, 25/04/2015 - 10:51
Dear Brother / Sister,
From the time of our Prophet (s.a.w) to now, salah has been performed in congregation because of its high virtue; the mosques built for this purpose have been a social institution along with the other functions they carry out.
Salah in congregation is sunnah al-muakkada according to Hanafi Madhhab; it is fard al-kifaya - sunnah al-muakkada- according to Shafi’i Madhhab; according to Maliki madhhab, it is sunnah al-muakkada- fard al-kifaya; it isfard al-’ayn according to Hanbali Madhhab and Dawud az-Zahiri. (Tajrid as-Sarih Translation, II, 604).
Someone who is a member of Hanbali Madhhab has to perform salah in congregation if he has no excuse. However, congregation is not essential for the validity of the salah. That is, if someone performs his/her salah alone, his/her salah is valid.
Questions on Islam
- Jama’ah Salah (Prayer in Congregation)
- What is Sunnah?
- Is Jumuah Salah (Friday prayer) not fard for women according to four madhhabs?
- If someone does not perform salah in congregation even if he/she does not have any excuses, is his/her salah accepted?
- Is it valid for the congregation to salute after the imam salutes to the right and left?
- What is the number of rak'ahs of Tarawih prayer; how many rak'ahs can be offered with one salutation?
- The Witr prayer
- Can qada (missed) prayers be performed instead of sunnah prayers? Can a person who has to perform qada prayers perform sunnah prayers?
- Can we perform congregational salah (prayer) with my wife and children at home?
- How many ayahs can the imam read the most while performing salah in congregation?