Is Jumuah Salah (Friday prayer) not fard for women according to four madhhabs?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 18:15
Dear Brother / Sister,
The conditions are set as follows in a hadith narrated by Jabir b. Abdullah:
“Jumuah salah is fard for those who believe in Allah and the Judgement Day. However, it is exceptional for passengers, slaves, children, women and the sick people. (Abu Dawud, I, 644, H. No: 1067; Daraqutni, II, 3; Baghawi, Sharhu's-Sunnah, I, 225) All Muslim men who are not included in the exceptions above have to perform the Friday prayer.
There is ijma (consensus) that the Friday prayer is not fard for women. Since Asr As-Sa’adah (the Age of Bliss), none of the Islamic mujtahids and scholars have stated te opposite all over the Islamic countries and at all times; the practice has continued like this.
Jumuah Salah is not fard for women in Hanafî, Shafii, Maliki and Hanbali madhhabs. However, if women are ready at Jumuah Salah and perform it, their salah is valid and it replaces the noon (zuhr) salah. (see Abdurrahman Jaziri, Dört Mezhebe Göre İslam Fıkhı (Islamic Fiqh According to Four Madhhabs), Cagrı Publications, Istanbul 1993, vol. 2, p. 534)
Questions on Islam
- What is the decree for performing salah in congregation according to the madhhabs?
- Is it fard to perform the Friday prayer in non-Muslim countries (dar al-harb)?
- If a man who is married does not perform jumu’ah (Friday prayer) three times on end, does his nikah (marriage) become invalid?
- Is Jumuah (Friday) prayer not fard (obligatory) for a musafir (traveler)? Should a person who is a musafir not perform the Friday prayer?
- Can women perform Friday and eid prayers?
- What is the importance of sunnah prayers? Is it enough to perform only fard prayers?
- Jama’ah Salah (Prayer in Congregation)
- Qada (Missed) Prayers
- What is the correct method of offering Qada Prayer? In what way is it beneficial?