When should one make niyyah (intention) while praying in congregation ? Is it all right to make niyyah before the imam utters takbir?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 18:06
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is better to make niyyah after the imam makes niyyah and says, "Allahuakbar".
However, it is permissible to make niyyah when the imam is in his leading place (before he says takbir) Most of the scholars agree on that. Fatwas (legal opinions) are given based on that view. (al-Muhit / Radiyuddin Sarakhsi)
Questions on Islam
- Tarawih Prayer
- How Many Pillars (Essential Parts) are there in a Prayer?
- Is playing the guitar permissible in Islam?
- Prayers in Congregation
- If a person cannot wake up for the morning prayer (fajr), if he, say, gets up at 9 o’clock, how can he perform the morning prayer?
- How many fards (obligations) are there in salah (prayer) and what are they?
- How should a person who forgets what rak'ah he is performing in witr prayer or any other prayer complete his prayer?
- If a person who has started to follow the imam later gets up and continues the prayer after the imam salutes to the right and performs sajdah as-sahw, what should he (masbuq) do?
- While performing wudu, I forget whether I have made niyyah or not and I make niyyah again. What can I do to get rid of this?
- How is salat-ul janazah (funeral prayer) performed?