Some people insult Arabs due to racism. Are there any hadiths regarding the issue?
Submitted by on Wed, 04/09/2019 - 16:28
Dear Brother / Sister,
The following hadith is reported from Ibn Abbas in Imam Munawi's book called Faydul-Qadir:
"Love Arabs due to three properties: I am Arab; the Quran was sent down in Arabic; the language of the people of Paradise is Arabic." (1)
"With it came down the spirit of Faith and Truth-To thy heart and mind, that thou mayest admonish. In the perspicuous Arabic tongue."2
The phrase "love Arabs" in the hadith should not be understood as something absolute. For, there are non-Muslims and atheists among Arabs. Being a member of the Arab nation and speaking Arabic are not enough to love them.
What is meant by the phrase in the hadith is Arabs who are Muslims, who practice the religion of Islam and who follow the Messenger of Allah. They are already our brothers in religion. We love them as our brothers in religion but they deserve to be loved more than the other nations since they speak the language of the Quran, the Messenger of Allah and Paradise and they were the first people to spread Islam and serve Islam.
The religion of Islam prohibits people from regarding themselves to be superior to others because of racism.
1. Faydul-Qadir, 1:178 Hadith no: 225.
2. Ash-Shuara, 195.
3. Ibrahim, 4.
Questions on Islam
- Will the language of Paradise be Arabic? Will Arabic be spoken in the hereafter? If so, is there a verse or hadith indicating this?
- Is our prophet Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) an Arab? What nationality is he?
- Name of the nation/people that Isa (A.S) & Raulullah (S.AW)
- Are Shiites People of Paradise?
- Is there a hadith meaning make others love Allah so that Allah will make others love you?
- Could you give some information on nationalism and racism? Is it religiously permissible if I love my nation better than other nations?
- Can we call someone, who loves his race, a racist?
- What is the reason why the people of the book regard Islam and Muslim as enemies?
- What are the harms of racism?
- What language did Hz Adam and Hz Eve speak? What language will be spoken in Paradise?