Is it fard (obligatory) to perform Jumua (Friday) prayer?
Submitted by on Fri, 29/01/2010 - 04:03
Dear Brother / Sister,
Friday prayer is fard for every aqil (sane), baligh (having reached the age of puberty) Muslim man. It is haram to quit praying Friday prayer.
It is definite by the Book, Sunnah and ijma’ (consensus) of the umma (community) that Friday prayer is fard. Allah, the Exalted, stated the following in the ninth verse of the chapter al-Jumua:
" O ye who believe! When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday (the Day of Assembly), hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of Allah, and leave off business (and traffic): that is best for you if ye but knew. "
The following hadith in Ibn Majah reported by Hazrat Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) is the proof that Friday prayer is fard through the Sunnah:
"O people! Turn to Allah (repent) before you die. Try to do good deeds before you become occupied with other things. Strengthen the bond between you and your Lord by mentioning the name of Allah (dhikr) a lot, giving alms secretly and openly. If you do so, you will both be granted sustenance and be liked by Allah. Know it very well that Jumua has become fard for you in this place today, this month and this year. It will go on like this till the Day of Judgment.
If someone, while I am alive or after my death, has an imam (leader), whether he is just or cruel, but abandons him either by ignoring him or denying him, may Allah not let him make his ends meet and not make any of his deeds blessed. Know it very well that neither the prayers nor the alms, neither the hajj nor the fast not the deeds of that person are accepted by Allah unless he turns to Allah (repents). May Allah accept the repentance of the person who turns to Him. Know it very well that no woman should be an imam to a man. A Bedouin (who cannot recite the Quran well) should not become an imam to an Arab migrant. A sinner person should not be an imam to a believer unless he is forced by an oppressor whose sword or baton he is afraid of. " (Ibn Majah, Sunan, Istanbul 1401, I, 343, Hadith no: 1081).
Questions on Islam
- Friday Prayer
- Is Jumuah (Friday) prayer not fard (obligatory) for a musafir (traveler)? Should a person who is a musafir not perform the Friday prayer?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- A short explanation about Friday prayer and sermon
- Is Friday prayer fard for women?
- SALAT (PRAYER)-I
- Is it makruh to start to perform the sunnah prayer on Friday while the second adhan is being called?
- Will you give information about the afternoon (asr) prayer?
- Is Friday (Jumua) prayer be performed while travelling?
- How is the best supplication (dua) made?