When does the time period for the morning prayer (fajr) start and when does it end? Why is the adhan for the morning prayer called an hour after imsak time?
Submitted by on Thu, 25/07/2019 - 14:14
Dear Brother / Sister,
The time period for the morning prayer (fajr) starts with imsak and ends when the sun rises. However, according to Hanafis, it is more virtuous to delay it to the time when it starts to get bright slightly but according to Shafiis, it is more virtuous to perform it when it is dark.
Since it is more virtuous to delay the morning prayer, it is not performed immediately after imsak.
Besides, the adhan is not called at imsak time; it is called when the time to start the prayer is near so that people will know the time when it is performed in congregation in the mosque.
It is permissible to perform the prayer as soon as it is imsak time; it is not necessary to wait for the adhan.
If the sun rises while a person is performing the morning prayer and before he finishes the prayer, the prayer is invalidated according to Hanafis. It becomes necessary to perform that prayer again after the time for karahah ends.
If a Muslim cannot perform the morning prayer on time and if he performs it after the sun rises and after the time for karahah ends, he performs it as a missed (qada) prayer together with the sunnah and fard of the morning prayer.
It is a big sin not to perform prayers on time deliberately. In that case, it becomes necessary to repent and to perform them as qada (missed) prayer as soon as possible.
Questions on Islam
- Up to when can the morning (fajr) prayer be performed? What should be done when it is cloudy? Should we act in accordance with the calendars?
- What is imsak time? Can the morning (fajr) prayer be performed immediately after imsak?
- If the next adhan is called while performing a prayer, will that prayer be valid?
- When does the time of morning prayer start and end? If I miss the morning prayer, when should I perform it?
- When the time for zuhr (noon) comes, is only the missed fard qada of fajr (morning prayer) performed or is the sunnah of it performed as well?
- Is it permissible to continue eating and drinking while adhan is called at suhoor and until adhan ends?
- When does the time for fajr (morning) prayer end?
- What is the importance of time for prayer (salah)?
- Is it permissible to perform fard (obligatory) prayers during Karahah times?
- What are the mustahab times for performing five daily prayers? For instance, the morning prayer (fajr) can be performed up to the time of sunrise. What about the other prayers?