What is the decree for men to wear ear rings, necklaces, bracelets etc made of silver or other kinds of material except for gold?
Submitted by on Tue, 12/10/2010 - 12:54
Dear Brother / Sister,
Men are forbidden to wear golden accesories for adornment in the hadiths. Some hadiths regarding this issue are as follows: “ The Prophet (pbuh) forbade men to wear golden rings” (Bukhari, Clothing, 45); “The Prophet (pbuh) used to wear a golden ring. When he noticed people began to wear golden rings too, he threw the ring away and said he would never wear that any more. Then, people, therefore, threw their rings away.” (Bukhari, Clothing, 46) “The Prophet (pbuh) got a golden ring. When he noticed other people also began to get such rings, he threw the ring way and he got a silver one.” (Bukhari, Clothing, 45) In this case, it is permissible for men to wear silver or platinum rings. As silver and platinum are different than gold, they are subject to its decree. Nevertheless, ear rings, bracelets, necklaces except rings have been accessories for women in our tradition. In Islam, it has not been considered suitable for men to wear accesories which go with women. Since men’s wearing such accesories is generally regarded as resemblance to women in our tradition, this has always been looked down upon through the history. A report about resemblance to women is as follows: Ibni Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) reported the Prophet’s (pbuh) statement: “ The Prophet (pbuh) cursed upon men who try to look like women and women who try to look like men”. (Bukhari, Clothing, 61-62 (5585-5586) For this reason, it is best not to wear any accesories even if it is not made of gold and if it causes a lot of condemnation in that society when it is worn by men.
Questions on Islam
- IS IT PERMISSIBLE FOR WOMEN AND MEN TO HAVE PIERCING DONE? DOES IT HAVE ANY DRAWBACKS RELIGIOUSLY AND CULTURALLY?
- Can ears be pierced in order to wear earrings?
- Is it permissible for a man to wear a platinum ring?
- Is it permissible to eat or drink from silver or golden plates and cups or to make wudu from them?
- Is it religiously permissible for a woman to wear a gold bracelet or a gold name bracelet?
- Some people say it is forbidden to wear gold ornaments on foot in Islam. Is there any hadith confirming that?
- Is it permissible to wear gemstone rings in Islam?
- ZAKAT (THE PRSECRIBED PURIFYING ALMS)
- THE PRECRIBED PURIFYING ALMS (ZAKAT)