Is it religiously permissible for a woman to wear a gold bracelet or a gold name bracelet?
Submitted by on Wed, 23/03/2016 - 18:38
Dear Brother / Sister,
"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! Turn ye all together towards Allah that ye may attain Bliss." (an-Nur, 24/31)
The parts of the body of a woman that are fard to cover are her whole body except her hands and face. The hadith that forms the basis of this issue is as follows:
According to the narration of Hz. Aisha, Asma, her sister, went to the presence of the Prophet (pbuh) wearing a thin, transparent dress. When the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) saw her, he turned his face away from her and said,
"O Asma! It is not permissible for a woman to show the parts of her body to strangers apart from these parts (he showed his face and hands) after she reaches the age of puberty." (Abu Dawud, Libas)
It is not permissible for a woman to show the jewels and ornaments that are worn over the places that are fard to cover to non-mahram men.
The jewels and ornaments except rings (the jewels and ornaments worn on feet, arms, neck, rings, etc) are regarded as a woman's ornaments; so it is not permissible to show them to non-mahram men. It is necessary for the ring(s) not to attract attention. It does not matter what the ring is made of.
Questions on Islam
- How should a woman dress at home? If she uncovers her head, will the angels of mercy leave? Does wearing a short-sleeved dress make angels leave?
- What should the dressing style of a Muslim woman be like?
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? To what extent can hands and feet be uncovered? How should the head be covered?
- islam clothing
- Who are mahram men for a woman? Who are the men that are regarded as mahram and non-mahram for a woman? Are maternal and paternal uncles mahram?
- What is the decree for men to wear ear rings, necklaces, bracelets etc made of silver or other kinds of material except for gold?
- How were Muslim women commanded to veil themselves?
- Can ears be pierced in order to wear earrings?
- Is not being in tasattur (for a woman to cover her head and her body) a disgrace, crime or sin?
- Is it permissible for a man to wear a platinum ring?