Are the sins of a woman who gives birth forgiven?
Submitted by on Mon, 08/10/2018 - 11:32
Dear Brother / Sister,
Every trouble in this world, even if it is small, causes the sins to be forgiven. Giving birth, which is a painful thing and a good thing, will be atonement for a woman’s sins.
They say a woman who gives birth is purified of all of her sins. Is it true?
Labor pain is atonement for sins. Even a minor trouble is a means of forgiveness for a believer’s sins. Since giving birth is something very painful it is expected that it will be a means of forgiveness for sins. However, it is not possible to give a definite judgment as the forgiveness of all of her sins.
There are some hadiths about the virtues of giving birth:
"There are seven kinds of martyrdom other than being killed in the way of Allah: He who dies in the way of Allah is a martyr. He who dies of plague is a martyr. He who is drowned in the sea is a martyr. He who dies of pleurisy is a martyr. He who dies of a stomach disease is a martyr. He who dies in a fire is a martyr. He who dies under debris is a martyr. A woman who dies while giving birth is a martyr." (For hadiths related to the martyrs other than war martyrs, see Bukhari, Adhan, 32, Jihad, 30; Muslim, Imara, 164; Tirmidhi, Janaiz, 65, Fadailul-Jihad, 14; Ahmad b. Hanbal, I, 22, 23, II, 323, 325)
"A pregnant woman is like a person who keeps guard in the way of Allah until she gives birth and stops breastfeeding. If she dies during this period, she receives the thawabs of a martyr." (see Ahmed GÜMÜŞHANEVİ; Ramuzul-Ahadith)
"When a woman is pregnant, she deserves the thawabs of a mujahid who worships at night, fasts during the day and has fear of Allah. When she has pains, nobody can know the amount of the thawabs to be given to her. Whenever she breastfeeds her baby, she receives thawabs as if she has revived a person. When she stops breastfeeding, an angel comes, caresses her back and says, ‘Come on! Once more!’" (see Ahmed GÜMÜŞHANEVİ; Ramuzul-Ahadith)
Questions on Islam
- They say a woman who gives birth is purified of her sins. Is it true?
- What is martyrdom? Will you give information about the levels of martyrdom? Who are martyrs? Is a person who is burnt and who is drowned a martyr?
- Umm Waraqa (r. anha)
- Does martyrdom eliminate major sins as kaffarah (atonement)?
- Are the children who died in their childhood going to intercede for their parents?
- Will the worship performed at the end of time be rewarded by Allah differently?
- Does a person who does not perform prayers get the thawab (reward) of the good deeds that he does?
- Umm Ayman (r.anha)
- Could you give information about people who do not fulfill the requirements of religion although they say they believe and they are Muslims?
- Asma bint Abi Bakr (r.anha)