Is it permissible for a man to wear a platinum ring?
Submitted by on Wed, 26/01/2011 - 10:22
Dear Brother / Sister,
1- The reason why it is haram for men to wear golden things is the fact that it was forbidden by the order of our Prophet. Therefore, the reason why gold is haram is not because of its value only. Gold and silver are two elements that are used like that due to their functions. Besides, gold and silver are ornaments for women. Moreover, gold is a measure of worth among nations. Therefore, nobody saves platinum but gold because platinum does not have much value after it is used. Platinum is not like gold in terms of religious criteria; there is no verse or hadith that prohibits platinum.
2- Diamond and brilliant are not as practical as gold and they are not symbols for women; so, they are permissible for both women and men. There is no drawback to producing and selling them.
3- There are two kinds of white gold in the market.
a- 14-carat white gold. For instance, 585 g of pure gold and 415 g of palladium are mixed in order to produce 1 kg of white gold.
58,5% of such white gold is pure gold and 41,5% of it is palladium; therefore, according to Hanafis, it is regarded as gold since most of it is gold. If its amount is equal to or more than the amount of nisab, zakah has to be given for it and it is not permissible for a man to wear it.
b- 13-carat white gold. It is produced by mixing 415 g of pure gold and 585 g of palladium. 41,5% of such white gold is pure gold and 58,5% of it is palladium. It is regarded as palladium since most of it is palladium. If it is not used for trade, zakah is not given for it. It is not haram to wear such a ring but it is makruh.
However, according to Shafiis, although the amount of palladium in it is less than that of gold, zakah has to be given for it if the white gold or the amount of gold in it is equal to or more than the amount of nisab. It is haram for a man to wear a ring of white gold even if the amount of gold is less than that of palladium in it.
Halil Günenç, Fetvalar
Questions on Islam
- What is the decree for men to wear ear rings, necklaces, bracelets etc made of silver or other kinds of material except for gold?
- Is it permissible to eat or drink from silver or golden plates and cups or to make wudu from them?
- Some people say it is forbidden to wear gold ornaments on foot in Islam. Is there any hadith confirming that?
- Is it permissible to wear gemstone rings in Islam?
- Does the Prophet not have the authority to render something that is not clearly stated in the Quran haram?
- What is Taharah (Cleanliness)?
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- How is Zakah Paid?
- Where do the characteristics of chemical compounds in the universe come from?
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? How should a woman dress according to the code of tasattur in Hanafi madhab?