Submitted by on Wed, 25/08/2010 - 14:15
Dear Brother / Sister,
Zakah (alms) is not paid for diamonds, emeralds, rubies, pearls and similar precious stones that are kept as ornaments or adornments. However, zakah is paid for gold and silver even if they are kept as ornaments or adornments if they are more than the amount of nisab (minimum amount liable to zakah). It is the view of the Hanafis. According to Shafiis, zakah is not paid for the ornaments or adornments of women. (al-Ayni Sharh al-Hidayah.)
Zakah is not paid for any kinds of jewelry except gold and silver unless they are kept for trade. Therefore, the brilliants, rubies, diamonds, pearls and similar things that are kept as ornaments by women are not subject to zakah. (al-jawharatu'n-Nayyira)
(Celal Yıldırım, Kanaklarıyla İslam Fıkhı, Uysal Kitabevi: 2/116-142.)
Questions on Islam
- What is Caliphate? Is it possible to put Islam into practice in every part of life without an Islamic state? What should be the Ummah’s role in establishing Caliphate?
- zakaat in monies put into a business
- ZAKAT (THE PRSECRIBED PURIFYING ALMS)
- THE PRECRIBED PURIFYING ALMS (ZAKAT)
- How does Islam view applying lead (melting lead and pouring it into cold water over the head of a sick person done with the intention of breaking an evil spell)?
- Can you give information about Dajjal? What are the characteristics of Dajjal?
- How is Zakah Paid?
- Calculation Of Zakat
- Are Muslim girls allowed to wear lose fitting jeans?
- How long can a person stay impure?