zakaat in monies put into a business
Submitted by on Fri, 03/09/2010 - 00:01
Dear Brother / Sister,
If a person has shares of a factory, he has to give zakah if he has the amount of nisab. It is calculated as follows:
First, the total value of all of the shares are calculated. Then, the value of the factory, the office building, machinery, tools and the furniture are subtracted from the total. The total of the remaining tradable goods, raw materials and the money are divided by the amount of the shares. The number (product) is divided by forty and the amount for zakah is obtained.
In other words, everything except the factory building, machinery and furniture must be calculated and divided by the amount of the shares. For instance, if the amount for each share is TL one million, the zakah for each share is TL twenty-five thousand.
However, if the intention of the person who holds the shares is buying and selling shares, then he should calculate and give one-fortieth of the values of the shares as zakah.
The shares of the companies are calculated based on their current value and their zakah is given based on it. (Fiqhul-Islam wa adillatuhu, v. 2, p. 774).
Questions on Islam
- Zakatable Assets/Items..
- Can you give information about Dajjal? What are the characteristics of Dajjal?
- Is zakah necessary for real estate? How is zakah given for houses, flats, plots of land, factories, motor vehicles and real estate that are hired out?
- How does Islam view applying lead (melting lead and pouring it into cold water over the head of a sick person done with the intention of breaking an evil spell)?
- What is Caliphate? Is it possible to put Islam into practice in every part of life without an Islamic state? What should be the Ummah’s role in establishing Caliphate?
- Are Muslim girls allowed to wear lose fitting jeans?
- Is music allowed in Islam?
- How long can a person stay impure?
- How is zakah for a house, plot of land and construction calculated? I am a builder. How should I calculate my earnings and give zakah? I construct apartment buildings and sell flats.
- How can I calculate zakath on deposited money in Islamic bank?