Is music allowed in Islam?
Submitted by on Sun, 28/06/2009 - 05:13
Dear Brother / Sister,
Almost everybody agrees that human has two basic components: Soul and self. First, we need to distinguish between soul and self and point out how they two appear, and then answer the question.
Science cannot carry out experiments about soul and self. On the other hand, it can get some results indirectly, through examining the effects that these two leave on human. What psychology and parapsychology do today is this anyway. For instance, drawing conclusions about dreams on body examinations, which take place while sleeping can be considered among this type of indirect examinations.
Human soul constantly longs for his homeland, the hereafter and yearn for it. Yet for a certain time he cannot do it since he is confined to his bodily-cage. On the other hand, the self continuously seeks comfort and welfare and instills them into man’s will. As a result, man is under the influence of these two elements. Whichever appears dominant, s/he is forced to that way.
As for music whatever music addresses man’s agreeable feelings, brings about decrease in his worldly lusts, and an increase in seeking the hereafter further, we can say that that kind of music is beneficial. It is not haram. However, whatever music addresses man’s carnal desires and keeps him/her away from his/her lofty feelings, it is clear that this kind of music is not any nourishment to his/her soul, but poison. That is to say, it is haram.
Questions on Islam
- Do we have to tell someone that I have prayed?
- Can you give information about Dajjal? What are the characteristics of Dajjal?
- Is it Haram to listen to Music?
- Is music the nourishment of the soul?
- What is Caliphate? Is it possible to put Islam into practice in every part of life without an Islamic state? What should be the Ummah’s role in establishing Caliphate?
- How does Islam view applying lead (melting lead and pouring it into cold water over the head of a sick person done with the intention of breaking an evil spell)?
- In Islam, is music any nourishment to the soul?
- music in islam
- Are Muslim girls allowed to wear lose fitting jeans?
- How long can a person stay impure?