In Islam, is music any nourishment to the soul?
Almost everybody agrees that human has two basic components: Soul and self. First, we need to distinguish between soul and self and point out how they two appear, and then answer the question.
Science cannot carry out experiments about soul and self. On the other hand, it can get some results indirectly, through examining the effects that these two leave on human. What psychology and parapsychology do today is this anyway. For instance, drawing conclusions about dreams on body examinations, which take place while sleeping can be considered among this type of indirect examinations.
Human soul constantly longs for his homeland, the hereafter and yearn for it. Yet for a certain time he cannot do it since he is confined to his bodily-cage. On the other hand, the self continuously seeks comfort and welfare and instills them into mans will. As a result, man is under the influence of these two elements. Whichever appears dominant, s/he is forced to that way.
As for music whatever music addresses mans agreeable feelings, brings about decrease in his worldly lusts, and an increase in seeking the hereafter further, we can say that this kind of music is beneficial. However, whatever music addresses mans carnal desires and keeps him/her away from his/her lofty feelings, it is clear that this kind of music is not any nourishment to his/her soul, but poison.
- Is it Haram to listen to Music?
- Is music allowed in Islam?
- Is music the nourishment of the soul?
- music in islam
- Is it Haram to Listen to Music? What is the judgment of the religion of Islam about listening to the music?
- What is the criterion of listening to music in our religion?
- To listen to music is permitted or Haram in islam?
- Is it haram to play rock music and listen, and wear tight pants
- What is the function of mind in religious decrees?
- Will you explain the verse "Seek help with patient perseverance and prayer" (al-Baqara, 2/153)?