Can ears be pierced in order to wear earrings?
Women cannot give up ornaments and adornment due to their creation. They wear some ornaments that they can afford. Most of the ornaments like necklaces, bracelets and rings can be worn without making any treatment on the body. However earrings are not like that. Although nowadays some earrings can be worn directly without piercing, it is generally necessary to pierce the ear in order to wear earrings.
Is it permissible to pierce the ear in order to wear earrings like these?
As it is recorded in the books of Hanafi School like Raddû'l-Muhtar and Al-Fatawa'l-Hindiyyah and books of Shafii School like Ianah At-Tâlibîn, there is no drawback in piercing the ears of a girl or woman in order to wear earrings. (1)
Something like that used to be done during the time of our Prophet (PBUH) and it was not prohibited.(2)
However, some of the Shafii scholars do not permit piercing the ears of girls since it causes pain unnecessarily. Nevertheless, today that drawback is not valid. It is possible to pierce ears without causing any pain or trouble using a painless method.
1. Raddû'l-Muhtar, 5: 270; Al-Fatawa'l-Hindiyyah, 5: 358;
2. Ianah At-Tâlibîn, 4: 175.
Mehmet Paksu, Kadın, Aile, Hayat, Nesil Yayınları
- Is it haram to pierce your eyebrows, lips and nose?
- IS IT PERMISSIBLE FOR WOMEN AND MEN TO HAVE PIERCING DONE? DOES IT HAVE ANY DRAWBACKS RELIGIOUSLY AND CULTURALLY?
- Is it halal (lawful or permitted) for a woman to wear a wig, cut or dye her hair?
- Is it permissible for man to wear an earring?
- The right way to take ablution
- How should a woman’s outside covering be? To what extent can hands and feet be uncovered? How should the head be covered?
- What should the dressing style of a Muslim woman be like?
- What kind of clothes should women wear (for tasattur)?
- Is it permissible to accept the invitation and to go to the places where haram deeds are committed (like a wedding reception where alcoholic drinks are served)?
- What are the fards of ghusl?