At what age are Muslims obligated to pray five times daily?
Submitted by on Mon, 20/07/2009 - 05:56
Dear Brother / Sister,
Since people can differentiate between the good and the bad, the right and the wrong after they become baligh (reach the age of puberty), our Lord does not question us about the age of childhood but He questions us beginning from the age of puberty about our obligations like prayers and fasting; thus our religious obligations start from the age of puberty.
– However, the starting point of the age of puberty is not definite. It may start any time for a boy beginning from the age of 12 and for a girl from the age of 9 until they become 15 years old.
It starts with a wet dream or ejaculation for a boy and with menstruation for a girl; beginning from that day when the sexual feeling starts, all of the religious obligations start to be recorded in the book of deeds one by one as “fulfilled” or “not fulfilled”.
Questions on Islam
- What is the age of maturity for boys and girls in Islam?
- There are some people who say the prayers that are missed deliberately cannot be performed as qada (missed) prayers. Is it true? Does qada (missed) prayer exist in all madhhabs?
- When "fard" become obligatory on boys?
- salat and kids
- How many kinds of puberty are there?
- What is the age of starting Obligatory Prayer (salat)? How should we compensate our Qadha prayers?
- Beginning from what age must missed prayers be calculated? How are missed prayers performed?
- What is the age that girls are recommended to cover their bodies in accordance with tasattur?
- What is the age of puberty?
- Will you please explain the difference between Puberty (Bulugh) and Age of Maturity (Rushd)?