What is the age of maturity for boys and girls in Islam?
Submitted by on Thu, 02/12/2010 - 17:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
Since a person can distinguish what is good from what is evil, the right from superstition only after he reaches puberty, in the hereafter Our Lord is not going to hold us responsible for our childhood times in this world and He is going to make us to give account of our religious obligations such as prayers and fasting beginning from the day we reach puberty and hence our religious responsibility starts after we enter the age of puberty.
However, the puberty age has not got a certain date. The sensation of entering to puberty may start at any month or day starting at the age of 12 for boys and 9 for girls until the age 15. Each of our obligation is written down into our deed books as either “performed” or “failed to perform” as from the day the human and sexual senses are observed in the form of wet dreams for boys and menstruation for girls.
If a boy does not go through any wet dream or a girl does not experience any menstruation till the age of fifteen, they are deemed to reach puberty.
Allah created the human beings in different dispositions. It can be shown as a reason why the age of liability changes. Nevertheless, when subjected
Questions on Islam
- Beginning from what age must missed prayers be calculated? How are missed prayers performed?
- What is Fornication (ZINA)?
- What is the wisdom of death at young age? If he/she lived, would it not be better?
- Is betrothal in the cradle permissible in our religion?
- How should we inform our children about sexuality?
- Is it permissible for a person who is biologically and physiologically a man or a woman to have an operation and be equipped with some of the features and organs of the opposite sex just because he/she feels as a member of the opposite sex?
- Could you give detailed information about fate?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- What is Murted? Who is called an apostate; ex-Muslim? Can a Muslim be addressed as kafir (unbeliever)?
- What is the wisdom behind the existence of nipples in men? Can you answer the thesis of the evolutionists that men’s nipples are “vestigial organs” because they have no function?