What is the age of maturity for boys and girls in Islam?
Submitted by on Thu, 02/12/2010 - 17:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
Since a person can distinguish what is good from what is evil, the right from superstition only after he reaches puberty, in the hereafter Our Lord is not going to hold us responsible for our childhood times in this world and He is going to make us to give account of our religious obligations such as prayers and fasting beginning from the day we reach puberty and hence our religious responsibility starts after we enter the age of puberty.
However, the puberty age has not got a certain date. The sensation of entering to puberty may start at any month or day starting at the age of 12 for boys and 9 for girls until the age 15. Each of our obligation is written down into our deed books as either “performed” or “failed to perform” as from the day the human and sexual senses are observed in the form of wet dreams for boys and menstruation for girls.
If a boy does not go through any wet dream or a girl does not experience any menstruation till the age of fifteen, they are deemed to reach puberty.
Allah created the human beings in different dispositions. It can be shown as a reason why the age of liability changes. Nevertheless, when subjected
Questions on Islam
- Beginning from what age must missed prayers be calculated? How are missed prayers performed?
- How should we inform our children about sexuality?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- What is Fornication (ZINA)?
- What is Murted? Who is called an apostate; ex-Muslim? Can a Muslim be addressed as kafir (unbeliever)?
- Is betrothal in the cradle permissible in our religion?
- At what age are Muslims obligated to pray five times daily?
- When "fard" become obligatory on boys?
- How should our style (method) be in (conveying the message of Islam, propagation of Islam)? How should I convey the message of Islam to people who despise Islam?
- Can you give information about the meaning of the supplication (dua) and glorification (tasbih) in the prayer and the rewards given for them?