Beginning from what age must missed prayers be calculated? How are missed prayers performed?
Submitted by on Sat, 30/04/2011 - 11:16
Dear Brother / Sister,
Performing prayers is an obligation for every Muslim. When we borrow some money, we have to pay it back on time. It is not appropriate to delay it; we have to pay it back and apologize for paying it back late. Similarly, it is necessary to perform prayers on time. However, if someone has missed some prayers, he has to apologize to Allah and perform them. One can be freed from the obligation of missed prayers only by performing them. There is no other way of being freed from that obligation.
Since human beings can differentiate between the good and the evil only after they reach the age of puberty, our Lord will not question us about our childhood in the Gathering Place (mahshar); however, He will question us about our responsibilities of worshipping like prayer (salah), fasting, tasattur, etc beginning from the day that we reach puberty; so our religious responsibility starts from the age of puberty. However, the time of puberty is not certain. A boy may reach puberty at any day beginning from the age of 12 and a girl beginning from the age of 9 until they reach the age of 15. The age of puberty starts with wet dreams (ejaculation) for boys and menstruation for girls; beginning from that moment, the responsibilities are recorded separately in the form of “done” or “missed” in the book of deeds.
Let us give some information that will be helpful.
1- If a person does not remember the date he/she has entered the age of puberty, men should regard it as the age of 12 and women as 9. The missed prayers should be calculated by subtracting those numbers of years from the age one started performing prayers regularly.
2- You can perform the missed prayers in the form of performing one missed prayer after every prayer. Thus, it will not be difficult for your soul and it will be easy to calculate.
3- Thus, if you intend to perform all of your missed prayers as long as you live and start to perform them, if you die before finishing performing you missed prayers, we hope you will be regarded to have performed your prayers. If you had lived, you would have performed them because you had started to perform them. May Allah give you a life to finish your missed prayers.
Questions on Islam
- There are some people who say the prayers that are missed deliberately cannot be performed as qada (missed) prayers. Is it true? Does qada (missed) prayer exist in all madhhabs?
- What is the age that girls are recommended to cover their bodies in accordance with tasattur?
- When "fard" become obligatory on boys?
- What is the age of maturity for boys and girls in Islam?
- salat and kids
- At what age are Muslims obligated to pray five times daily?
- Prayers in Congregation
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- What is the decree about missed (qada) prayers? When and how are they performed? How should one say niyyah (intention) for them?
- When and how are the missed (qada) prayers performed? Are the sunnah prayers performed as well?