Was it rendered fard to perform fasting for thirty days (in Ramadan) in the Quran?
It is stated in the Quran that fasting is fard for Muslims but it is not stated which fasting. How was Ramadan fasting rendered fard? Are there any verses in the Quran stating that it is necessary to fast for thirty days? Or, is it stated in hadiths?
Submitted by on Wed, 14/03/2018 - 15:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is rendered fard in the Quran for Muslims to fast in the month of Ramadan. In the Quran, fasting was rendered fard as a month, not as days. Twenty-nine days or thirty days is not mentioned in the Quran; the month of Ramadan (Shahru Ramadan) is mentioned.
"(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew.
Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur´an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful." (al-Baqara, 2/184-185)
As it is seen in the verses above, it was rendered fard to perform fasting in Ramadan.
Questions on Islam
- Will you write the verses of the Quran and Hadiths about Ramadan and Fasting?
- Is it permissible to give fidyah for fasting before the month of Ramadan starts?
- Can ransom (fidyah) for fasting be given to a charity organization?
- Could you give information about the qada (compensation) of missed fasts and paying ransom (fidyah) for those fasts?
- Some other important events of the 2nd Year of Hijrah
- Is it a sin not to perform fasting in the month of Ramadan without any excuse? Will it be a sin if i skip Ramadan fasting without any excuse with the intention of fasting in winter? Will fasting performed in winter replace the fasting skipped in Ramadan?
- I´m traveling for 3 days can I break fast?
- Can Ramadan fasting be postponed due to Coronavirus epidemic?
- Can a woman who is in menstruation perform fasting according to verse 184 of the chapter of al-Baqara?
- Will you give information about the qada of skipped fasting and giving fidyah for skipped fasting?