Is it a sin to fast when one is junub?
I was junub and performed fasting? Is it appropriate?
Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 12:13
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is permissible to start fasting in the state of janabah (when one is junub); it does not invalidate fasting. However, it is not permissible to remain in the state of janabah long enough to cause a daily fard prayer to miss; therefore, it is necessary to make ghusl.
Mouth is also washed while making ghusl. One should wash his mouth in a way that will prevent water from going down the throat. Gargling is not necessary.
Questions on Islam
- Can a junub person (who has to make ghusl) perform fasting? How should one make ghusl when he is junub?
- Is it a sin to eat and drink when one is junub?
- Is it permissible to make ghusl/have a bath while fasting? How should one sniff water into his nostrils and gargle?
- Is the fast of spouses valid who have interourse at night and wake up in the morning in a state of Junub?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- How should the person who realizes when he wakes up that he is junub (ritually impure) continue with the fasting? Does getting blood drawn invalidate the fast?
- Does having a bath unnecessarily invalidate fasting? Is it makruh?
- What are the things that invalidate fasting according to Shafii madhhab? Does eating deliberately while fasting necessitate kaffarah?
- How can we answer those who say it is not written in the Quran that women who are in menstruation and puerperium cannot perform fasting and prayers?
- Does having a wet dream (being junub in sleep) invalidate fasting?