Is fasting invalidated if a person swallows the skin of his lips or his nails?
Submitted by on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 13:31
Dear Brother / Sister,
Fasting is not invalidated if a person swallows unknowingly things that come off from his body like the skin of his lips or his nails. Fasting is not invalidated if he is not sure that he has swallowed or if he doubts.
If the pieces that are swallowed are as small as sesame seeds, fasting is not invalidated. However, if they are bigger than sesame seeds and if they are swallowed knowingly, fasting is invalidated and it becomes necessary to perform fasting as qada afterwards for one day only.
Questions on Islam
- How to clip nails according to the sunnah? What is the appropriate way of clipping nails?
- How are nails cut in accordance with the Sunnah? What are the manners of cutting nails?
- What are the things and states that invalidate fasting?
- Do contact lenses prevent fasting? Is fasting invalidated if the special liquid of lenses touches the eyes?
- Is it permissible to wear contact lenses while fasting?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Can a junub person (who has to make ghusl) perform fasting? How should one make ghusl when he is junub?
- Is fasting invalidated if a person keeps a clove (of carnation) in his mouth?
- Is it permissible to make ghusl/have a bath while fasting? How should one sniff water into his nostrils and gargle?
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?