Does smoking cigarettes and hookah invalidate fasting?
Does smoking cigarettes and hookah invalidate fasting? What if we are in a place where people smoke?
Submitted by on Wed, 28/12/2016 - 09:30
Dear Brother / Sister,
The decree depends on whether the person breathes in the smoke voluntarily or involuntarily. If a person breathes in the smoke voluntarily, his fasting is invalidated; he needs to perform both qada and kaffarah (perform fasting for sixty-one days).
The pleasure-giving smoky substance of tobacco products like cigarettes and hookah and all of the substances that are taken as an addiction like morphine are prohibited while fasting. If one of them is taken when a person is fasting, his fasting is invalidated.
The fasting of a person who breathes in the smoke of a cigarette or hookah that somebody else is smoking is not invalidated if he breathes it in involuntarily. For, it is impossible to avoid it.
Questions on Islam
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?
- Does Vomiting Invalidate the fast?
- How should the person who realizes when he wakes up that he is junub (ritually impure) continue with the fasting? Does getting blood drawn invalidate the fast?
- Does having a tooth pulled invalidate fasting?
- Is it permissible to use Miswak while fasting?
- Does using eye drops invalidate fasting?
- Does eating and drinking forgetfully invalidate fasting?
- What is the penalty in the hereafter for a person who does not perform fasting in Ramadan without any excuse?
- Does brushing one's teeth with toothpaste invalidate fasting?
- Does it invalidate the fast to apply surma (eyeliner), to put medicine on a wound, and to apply ointment on it?