Does smoking cigarettes and hookah invalidate fasting?
Does smoking cigarettes and hookah invalidate fasting? What if we are in a place where people smoke?
Submitted by on Wed, 28/12/2016 - 09:30
Dear Brother / Sister,
The decree depends on whether the person breathes in the smoke voluntarily or involuntarily. If a person breathes in the smoke voluntarily, his fasting is invalidated; he needs to perform both qada and kaffarah (perform fasting for sixty-one days).
The pleasure-giving smoky substance of tobacco products like cigarettes and hookah and all of the substances that are taken as an addiction like morphine are prohibited while fasting. If one of them is taken when a person is fasting, his fasting is invalidated.
The fasting of a person who breathes in the smoke of a cigarette or hookah that somebody else is smoking is not invalidated if he breathes it in involuntarily. For, it is impossible to avoid it.
Questions on Islam
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?
- Is it permissible to wear lipstick while fasting?
- Does having a tooth pulled invalidate fasting?
- Does using eye drops invalidate fasting?
- Does Vomiting Invalidate the fast?
- Does swallowing blood invalidate fasting? My gums are very sensitive. Blood leaks between my teeth; does swallowing it invalidate fasting?
- Do treatment methods like sprays, eye-nose-ear drops, endoscopy, anesthesia, suppositories, enema, injections, serum, donating blood, dialysis, angio, biopsy, ointment, medicine and gynecological examination invalidate fasting?
- How should the person who realizes when he wakes up that he is junub (ritually impure) continue with the fasting? Does getting blood drawn invalidate the fast?
- Does eating and drinking forgetfully invalidate fasting?
- Is it permissible to use Miswak while fasting?