Does swallowing blood invalidate fasting? My gums are very sensitive. Blood leaks between my teeth; does swallowing it invalidate fasting?
Does swallowing blood invalidate fasting? My gums are very sensitive. Blood leaks between my teeth.
Submitted by on Thu, 20/04/2017 - 09:49
Dear Brother / Sister,
If the amount of blood that leaks between the teeth and goes to the throat is little and does not go in, it does not invalidate fasting. For, it is not possible to avoid it. If the amount is much but the majority of the liquid is saliva, it does not invalidate fasting.
However, if the majority of the liquid is blood, if the taste of blood is felt and if the amount of blood and saliva is equal, fasting is invalidated when it is swallowed. The same decree is valid for the tooth that is extracted. (Ömer Nasuhi BİLMEN, İslam İlmihali, s.294)
Besides, it is necessary to avoid squeezing the lips and the mouth, causing blood to come out. If you avoid it, the blood can be less than the saliva.
If bleeding is caused by a drug that is taken, it is necessary not to use that drug in Ramadan if it is not urgent, based on the advice of the doctor.
Questions on Islam
- Does a bleeding tooth invalidate fasting?
- Will you give information about the fasting, wudu and excuse of a person from whose gums blood and pus come?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Do treatment methods like sprays, eye-nose-ear drops, endoscopy, anesthesia, suppositories, enema, injections, serum, donating blood, dialysis, angio, biopsy, ointment, medicine and gynecological examination invalidate fasting?
- Is fasting invalidated due to gingival bleeding and having a tooth pulled out? Is the statement ‘Make wudu like a bird and perform prayer like a stone’ true?
- Does brushing teeth with toothpaste invalidate the fasting?
- Do contact lenses prevent fasting? Is fasting invalidated if the special liquid of lenses touches the eyes?
- Is fasting invalidated if water enters into one's ear while having a bath?
- Is the fast broken because of kissing or embracing?
- What are the things and states that invalidate fasting?