Does a bleeding tooth invalidate fasting?
When I rinse my mouth in wudu when I am fasting, my teeth bleed after I spit the water. I also feel that sometimes bleeding occurs in my mouth when I spit even when outside wudu; and I taste blood in my mouth. However, I cannot spit in some places and I think my fasting might be invalidated if I swallow it. Does that bleeding invalidate fasting? I suffer from this problem when I fast.
Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 11:26
Dear Brother / Sister,
When the blood comes from between the teeth, it does not invalidate fasting if it is a little and if it does not go down the throat because it is not possible to avoid it. Even if the blood is more, it does not invalidate fasting if saliva is more than blood.
However, if blood is more than saliva and if the taste of blood is felt or if blood is as much as saliva, fasting is invalidated if it is swallowed. The same decree is valid for the tooth that is pulled.
In addition, it is necessary not to squeeze the lips and the mouth. If one avoids it, blood can be less than saliva.
(Ömer Nasuhi BİLMEN, İslam İlmihali, p. 294)
Questions on Islam
- Does swallowing blood invalidate fasting? My gums are very sensitive. Blood leaks between my teeth; does swallowing it invalidate fasting?
- Is fasting invalidated due to gingival bleeding and having a tooth pulled out? Is the statement ‘Make wudu like a bird and perform prayer like a stone’ true?
- Will you give information about the fasting, wudu and excuse of a person from whose gums blood and pus come?
- Is the fast broken because of kissing or embracing?
- What are the things and states that invalidate fasting?
- Does touching break fasting in the Holy month of Ramadan?
- Is it permissible to wear contact lenses while fasting?
- Do contact lenses prevent fasting? Is fasting invalidated if the special liquid of lenses touches the eyes?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- How should the person who realizes when he wakes up that he is junub (ritually impure) continue with the fasting? Does getting blood drawn invalidate the fast?