Are all sorts of tattooing haraam?
Submitted by on Wed, 04/02/2015 - 08:20
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is religiously not permissible to have one’s body tattooed regardless of the material used.
Hazrat Prophet, who did not approve of changes in the natural appearance of man, who was created in the best of molds, prohibited tattoos, too. He stated that Allah damns women who tattoo and have themselves tattooed. If a person who commits a deed is damned by Allah, it means that deed is haram. (see Bukhari, Libas, 87; Muslim, Libas, 119-120)
People have been having different parts of their bodies tattooed for a very long time. Today, this custom is maintained in some places. While some young people in Europe and the US do it as an 'ornament', some irresponsible young people in our country imitate them, too. The Arabs of Jahiliyya/Ignorance (the time before Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him) would have themselves tattooed to ornament themselves; at the same time, they believed that their joints became stronger with the various shapes and pictures that they had tattooed on their bodies. Today, however, this does not go beyond the desire to imitate.
As is commonly known, tattoo is done this way: The body is wounded with needles or similar tools so that blood comes out. Then, the wound is left to heal after putting suet and other substances on it. Finally, a dark green shape forms under the skin.
According to the hadiths (sayings of the Prophet) narrated by Bukhari and Muslim, the Prophet prohibited tattooing and having oneself tattooed and stated that the one who does it loses the worthiness for Divine mercy.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to have a tattoo done? Is it necessary to remove the tattoo? Do tattoos harm ghusl, wudu and other worships?
- Is it right to have ones body tattooed?
- How is a nawafil prayer is performed?
- Is it possible to say prayers (duas) in a different language during prostration (sajdah)?
- Marriage issue
- Is it permissible for me to prepare a fake "Experience Certificate"?
- What is the criterion of permissibility for a food to be aten in Islam?
- Can we see Allah before the jugement day?
- Will getting a "Tattoo" still be haram regardless of the material used?
- Is it permissible for women to pluck their eyebrows, to remove the hairs on their legs and faces, between their eyebrows and next to them?