Was Hazrat Adam (AS) created circumcised? Are there any prophets who were born circumcised?
Submitted by on Thu, 30/04/2015 - 15:30
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to the riwayah, some of the prophets were born circumcised. The number of them is ten or seventeen. Imam Suyuti expressed some of them in a poem.
They are Adam, Seth (Sheeth), Nooh (Noah), Shem (Sam), Idris (Enoch), Musa (Moses), Saleh, Loot, Yusuf (Joseph), Shuaib (Jethro), Yunus (Jonah), Sulayman (Solomon), Yahya (John) and Eesa (Jesus Christ). The poem ends with "Khatam", which refers to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
See for the information about the Prophet (PBUH) being born circumcised. Ibn Khaldun, Muqaddima, Istanbul 1970, II/400; Cevdet Pasha, Qisas al Anbiya, Istanbul 1972, I/59).
According to some riwayahs, his grandfather circumcised the Prophet (PBUH) on the seventh day of his birth by giving a feast.
It is possible to be born circumcised; as a matter of fact, nowadays such events are frequently seen.
Questions on Islam
- What are the extraordinary incidents that were witnessed by the people during the birth of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) nearby him?
- The Birth of the Messenger of God
- What are the supernatural events witnessed during the birth of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and miraculous events occurred at the night he was born?
- Is it halal, haram or permissible to circumcise girls? Will you explain the issue with resources (verses-hadiths)? As far as I know, circumcision of girls is an old tradition dating back to Pharaohs.
- Were there any human beings that were created before Hazrat Adam? What was created first? Were there any human beings before Adam?
- How old were Adam and Eve when they were born? Were they babies, kids or teenagers when they were first created?
- The Clean Ancestors of the Messenger of God
- What is the number of prophets?
- 3. Prophets Mentioned in the Glorious Quran and Their Stories