Is there a narration about Quds being the gathering place (mahshar)?
Is the narration that Quds will be the Gathering Place, that Allah will expand Quds and that everybody will be called to account there sound?
Submitted by on Wed, 20/12/2017 - 10:39
Dear Brother / Sister,
We can explain the issue that Quds (Jerusalem) is the Gathering Place as follows:
"But verily, it will be but a single (Compelling) Cry, When, behold, they will be in the (full) awakening (to Judgment)..” (an-Naziat, 79/13-14) The original word translated as awakening in the verse is “sahira”. Scholars hold different views about the meaning of that word.
Sahira also means “soil” and “Damascus region”. Damascus region is a large region that includes Quds too.
- Acting upon the expression in the Quran that people will gather in “Sahira” when they come out of their graves, scholars interpreted this word as “land, a high hill of soil, a place in Damascus, a mountain in Quds near Bayt al-Maqdis (and even HELL since the previous verses are about the unbelievers who deny resurrection as an answer to them) (se Tabari, Mawardi, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
- There are also some scholars who say that Sahira is a place in Makkah. (Nasafi, the relevant place)
- SAHIRA, which is the first place where people who are resurrected will gather, lexically means flat and white soil. (see Razi, Baydawi, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
- According to Ibn Kathir, the most appropriate interpretation is the interpretation of the scholars who say “Sahira is the whole earth”. (see Ibn Kathir, the relevant place)
- We have not been able to find any marfu hadith narration attributed to the Prophet. The information included in hadith resources is the same information in tafsir books. (see Ibn Hajar, Fathul-Bari, 6/294; Umdatul-Qari, 15/113)
Questions on Islam
- How long will the time period between two resurrections be?
- What does ba’th (resurrection)? How will resurrection after death be?
- What will the resurrection be like after death?
- How is mahshar, that is the gathering area?
- Will animals go to the arena of the Gathering Place (Mahshar), too? What will their shares from the life in the hereafter be?
- Will our bad deeds will be exposed in the judgement day in front of all our relatives, human beings or will it be private, between us and Almighty Allah?
- Where will those who seek the Prophet on the Day of Judgment find him?
- “My Lord says: Animals are my silent slaves; they keep silent when they are oppressed now but they will speak on the Day of Reckoning.” Is this statement a hadith narration?
- After the Doomsday, shall we not die once more after having been resuscitated? Shall we be going through other tests as well?
- Does the bone ajb adh-dhanab (coccyx) exist in all living beings?