If a person cannot wake up for the morning prayer (fajr), if he, say, gets up at 9 o’clock, how can he perform the morning prayer?
1) How should one make intention (niyyah), should he say, “the prayer that I have missed”? 2) Is it necessary to perform the sunnah of the morning prayer? 3) Can it be performed in congregation? 4) If one performs it after the sun rises, should he make intention as a missed (qada) prayer or a prayer in time?
Submitted by on Thu, 07/12/2017 - 14:04
Dear Brother / Sister,
One of the fards of prayer is to perform it on time. Therefore, a prayer that is not performed in time is regarded to have missed. A person is held responsible for missed prayers.
Apart from performing a missed prayer, it is necessary to repent and to be careful so as not to miss a prayer again.
If the morning prayer is performed after the period of time determined for it, it is performed as a missed prayer. If a person performs the missed morning prayer before noon on the same day, he needs to perform both the sunnah and fard of the morning prayer.
Missed prayers can be performed in congregation. However, those people have to perform the same prayer as a missed prayer.
When the morning prayer is performed before the noon prayer, it is performed together with its sunnah. One can make niyyah as follows when he performs the sunnah prayer as a missed (qada) prayer:
"I intend to perform the sunnah of the morning prayer as qada."
When he performs the fard prayer as a qada prayer, he can make niyyah as follows:
"I intend to perform the fard of the morning prayer as qada."
Questions on Islam
- When and how are the missed (qada) prayers performed? Are the sunnah prayers performed as well?
- Can the sunnah prayers that are abandoned due to some obligations be performed as qada (missed) prayers afterwards?
- What is the decree about missed (qada) prayers? When and how are they performed? How should one say niyyah (intention) for them?
- Is it permissible for a person who has not performed his missed prayers (qada) to perform tarawih prayer?
- When does the time period for the morning prayer (fajr) start and when does it end? Why is the adhan for the morning prayer called an hour after imsak time?
- Can qada (missed) prayers be performed instead of sunnah prayers? Can a person who has to perform qada prayers perform sunnah prayers?
- How is it necessary to make niyyah when performing the morning prayer after the sun rises and after the time of karaha ends? Is that prayer regarded to have been missed?
- Qada (Missed) Prayers
- When should I perform the Fajr (morning prayer), If I cannot perform it on time?
- Is it permissible to perform fard (obligatory) prayers during Karahah times?