Can the sunnah prayers that are abandoned due to some obligations be performed as qada (missed) prayers afterwards?
Submitted by on Mon, 06/03/2017 - 13:15
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is fard to perform a fard prayer that is abandoned as a missed (qada) prayer; it is wajib to perform a wajib prayer that is abandoned as a missed (qada) prayer and it is sunnah to perform a sunnah prayer that is abandoned as a missed (qada) prayer. The only sunnah prayer that is sunnah to perform as qada is the sunnah of the morning (fajr) prayer. If the morning prayer of the day is missed, its sunnah is performed as a qada (missed) prayer up to the noon of the same day together with its fard. If the morning prayer is delayed to some time after the noon, only the fard of it is performed as a qada prayer.
Some sunnah prayers that cannot be performed in time can be performed after the fard prayer in its own time. For instance, if a person does not perform the first sunnah of the noon prayer in order to perform the fard prayer in congregation, he performs the first sunnah of four rak'ahs after the fard prayer first and the last sunnah of two rak'ahs after it. It is also appropriate to perform the last sunnah after the fard and first sunnah after it.
If the first sunnah of the Friday prayer cannot be performed before the sermon (khutbah), it is performed as qada after the fard of the Friday prayer. The sunnah prayers of the noon and Friday prayers that are performed as two rak'ahs and left in the middle are performed as four rak'ahs as qada after the fard prayer like that.
The sunnah prayers of the other daily prayers except these sunnahs are not performed as qada (missed) prayers when they are not performed in time. For instance, the sunnah prayers of the afternoon (asr) and night (isha) prayers are not performed if they are not performed before the fard prayers. However, some resources state that a person who cannot perform the four-rak'ah of the sunnah of the night prayer can perform it after the last sunnah if he wishes.
Questions on Islam
- If a person cannot perform the first sunnah of the noon prayer before the fard prayer, which one should he perform after the fard first; the first sunnah or the last sunnah? What should be the order like?
- When and how are the missed (qada) prayers performed? Are the sunnah prayers performed as well?
- What is the decree about missed (qada) prayers? When and how are they performed? How should one say niyyah (intention) for them?
- How many rak’ahs does Friday prayer consist of? Is it necessary to perform the Prayer of Zuhr al-Akhir after the last Sunnah of the Friday prayer?
- If a person cannot wake up for the morning prayer (fajr), if he, say, gets up at 9 o’clock, how can he perform the morning prayer?
- Is it permissible to perform sunnah prayers which are needed to be performed before fard after fard? For example, performing the sunnah of the fajr prayer after its fard in order to catch up with the jamaah (congregation).
- It is said that there is no qada (missed) prayer in the Quran and hence there is no prayer called qada prayer. Is it true? Will you explain it with fiqh evidences?
- Prayers in Congregation
- What is the importance of sunnah prayers? Is it enough to perform only fard prayers?
- Is it permissible to perform only the fards of the daily prayers and to abandon the sunnahs?