Hz. Idris (Enoch) was raised to the sky. Since every soul shall have a taste of death, how will the death of Hz. Idris be?
Submitted by on Fri, 27/11/2015 - 23:47
Dear Brother / Sister,
"Also mention in the Book the case of Idris: he was a man of truth (and sincerity), (and) a prophet: And We raised him to a lofty station." (Maryam, 19/56-57)
The verse above states that Hz. Idris was raised to the sky.
There are two views about what the verse "And We raised him to a lofty station"expresses:
a) It means loftiness in terms of station and rank. As a matter of fact, God Almighty addressed Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) as follows:"And (He) raised high the esteem (in which) thou (art held)?" (al-Inshirah, 94/4). For, Allah honored Hz. Idris by appointing him as a prophet and sent him thirty pages. He was the first person to write with the pen, to know the science of astronomy and mathematics and to make clothes and to wear them.
b) What is meant by it is elevating him to a high position. This view is more appropriate. For, the act of elevating mentioned together with the word "place" is elevation in terms of place, not rank. (Fahkruddin ar-Razi, Tafsir al-Kabir Mafatih al-Ghayb, Akçağ Publications: 15/371-372)
It is regarded that both Hz. Idris and Hz. Isa were elevated to the sky and they are still alive. As a matter of fact, the following is stated in a narration:
"There are four people who are still alive. Hz. Khidr and Hz. Ilyas are alive on the earth, and Hz. Isa and Hz. Idris are alive in the sky." (Bilmen, Ömer Nasuhi, Tefsir, 4/2034)
As for the issue whether Hz. Idris is in Paradise,
we hold the view that he is in the sky like Hz. Isa and that he is not in Paradise. For, people will go to Paradise after the Day of Judgment. However, it is known that he is in a realm like Paradise and lives there like angels.
The fact that every soul shall have a taste of death indicates that Hz. Idris will also have a taste of death.
Questions on Islam
- The Prophet Idris (pbuh) was ascended to the sky. If every soul shall have a taste of death, then how will his death happen?
- Could you please give information about Hz. Idris (Enoch)?
- Prophet Idris [Enoch] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Isa [Jesus] (Peace be upon him)
- Are there angels made of electricity?
- Isra and the Miracle of Miraj (Ascension)
- Is Hz. Khidr alive? According to the following verse, it is impossible for Hz. Khidr to be alive: "We granted not to any man before thee permanent life (here)" (al-Anbiya, 21/34)
- Life in the Grave is True
- Amir bin Fuhayra (r.a.)
- Abud-Darda (r.a.)