The Prophet Idris (pbuh) was ascended to the sky. If every soul shall have a taste of death, then how will his death happen?
Submitted by on Thu, 30/04/2015 - 14:54
Dear Brother / Sister,
“Also mention in the book the case of Idris, he was a man of truth(and sincerity),(and) a prophet: and We raised him to a lofty station.” (Maryam,19/56-57)
This verse indicates that the Prophet Idris (Enoch) was ascended to the sky.
There are two point of views about the verse “We raised him to a lofty station”:
a) This is the loftiness in the sense of rank and post. As a matter of fact, Allah also saidto our Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), “We raised high the esteem (in which) thou (art held) (al-Inshirah ,94/4) For, honoring him with prophethood, Almighty Allah sent down to the Prophet Idris thirty pages. He was the first to write with a pen, first to know the science of stars and calculation and first to sew a garment and wear it.
b) What is meant by it is to ascend him to a lofty place. This view is more appropriate. For, the deed of “ascending” mentioned with the word “place” is not related to status but venue. [Fakhruddin ar-Razi, Tafsir al-Kabir Mafatihu’l-Ghayb, Akçağ Publishing: 15/371-372)]
Prophet Idris is regarded to have been ascended to the sky like Prophet Isa (Jesus) and to be still alive.
There is also a narration as follows: “There are four people who are still alive. Khidr and the Prophet Ilyas (Elijah) live on earth, Prophet Isa and Idris in the sky.
As for the issue of Prophet Idris being in Heaven:
We are of the opinion that he is not in Heaven, which is one of the realms of hereafter, but in the sky like the Prophet Isa. For, people will enter Heaven after the Day of Judgment. However, it is known that he has been in a realm like Heaven and living there like angels.
The fact that all living souls will taste death shows that the Prophet Idris too will taste death in the Day of Judgment. His descending to the earth is not necessary for this.
Questions on Islam
- Hz. Idris (Enoch) was raised to the sky. Since every soul shall have a taste of death, how will the death of Hz. Idris be?
- Could you please give information about Hz. Idris (Enoch)?
- Prophet Idris [Enoch] (Peace be upon him)
- We know that Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) is the last prophet and no prophets will come after him. However, Hz. Isa (Jesus) will come down from the sky; will he not come as a prophet?
- Prophet Isa [Jesus] (Peace be upon him)
- When and how did the miracles of Isra and Miraj, which are among the greatest miracles of the Prophet (pbuh) take place? How did the Prophet (pbuh) narrate this incident?
- Isra and the Miracle of Miraj (Ascension)
- Is the existence of miracles not contrary to the mystery of testing?
- Are angels Allah's daughters?
- Will you explain the hadith "Son of Mary (Jesus) will shortly descend amongst you as a just ruler, will break the Cross, kill the pig and abolish jizyah; wealth will become so abundant that no one will accept it"?