Can a woman choose to stay single for life?
Submitted by on Thu, 02/09/2010 - 23:59
Dear Brother / Sister,
If there is no risk of committing sins and fornication, it is not haram not to get married. However, if there is not an obligatory reason, we recommend you to marry a morally justified Muslim man.
The following attitude of the Prophet (pbuh) is regarded as the greatest evidence about how man can control the feelings of his soul and how much he knows about the reality of man: We read the following in a hadith reported by Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) in Bukhari and Muslim: Three people came and asked about the worshipping of the Messenger of Allah. When they were informed about his worshipping, they underestimated it and said, "Can we be the same as the Messenger of Allah? His sins regarding the past and the future were forgiven." One of them said he would perform prayers all the night; the second one said he would fast every day; the third one said he would never get married. When the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) heard about it, he called them and said to them, "I swear by Allah that I fear Allah the most among you; but, I sometimes fast and sometimes eat; I sometimes perform prayers and I sometimes sleep; I get married, too. Whoever abandons my sunnah is not a member of my ummah." (Bukhari, Nikah, 1; Muslim, Siyam 74, 79).
Hazrat Prophet (pbuh) stated the benefits of marriage as follows while addressing a group of young people: "O young people! If any of you can afford to marry, he should marry at once because marriage protects the eyes from haram best; it is the stronghold of one’s sexual organs. If you cannot afford to marry, you should perform fasting because fasting weakens the lust... (Bukhari, Sawm, 1, Nikah, 2 3; Muslim, Nikah,1, 3; Abu Dawud Nikah, 1, Ibn Majah, Nikah, 1).
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible for me to date a non-Muslim?
- What does my dream mean?
- Does touching break fasting in the Holy month of Ramadan?
- Can a man do second marriage without first wife's permission?
- Will you give information about marrying a non-Muslim woman and being a witness of marriage?
- how to control eye from looking into beautiful women, how to control sexual desire
- Marrying more than one woman
- What is an illegitimate child? What does the religion of Islam say about this term?
- Zaynab bint Jahsh (r.anha)
- Could you please give information about the Islamic term "Nushuz" (Discord Between The Wife and The Husband)