Can we perform the noon prayer in congregation at home on Friday since Friday prayer is not performed nowadays?
- Can we perform the noon prayer in congregation at home on Friday since Friday prayer is not performed in mosques nowadays?
Submitted by on Fri, 22/07/2022 - 11:10
Dear Brother / Sister,
Islamic scholars agree unanimously that it is fard to perform Friday prayer.
Friday prayer consists of two rak’ahs and it cannot be performed individually; it is performed in congregation. A person who cannot perform the Friday prayer performs the noon prayer of that day.
According to Shafii madhhab, it is permissible for those who cannot perform the Friday prayer to perform the noon prayer of that day in congregation.
However, according to Hanafi madhhab, those who cannot go to mosque for Friday prayer due to an excuse cannot perform the noon prayer of that day in congregation. They have to perform it individually; otherwise, it means to divide the congregation of Friday prayer. (Marghinani, al-Hidaya 1/84)
Accordingly, if Friday prayer is performed in the town where you live, it will be a sin to perform the noon prayer of that day in congregation separately. It is necessary to perform it individually.
However, if Friday prayer cannot be performed in a town due to any reason, it is permissible to perform the noon prayer of that day in congregation because it does not mean to divide the congregation of Friday prayer or to form an alternative.
Since Friday prayer is not performed due to an epidemic nowadays, it is permissible to perform the noon prayer of that day in congregation at home with the family members. You will get the reward of praying in congregation inshallah.
Questions on Islam
- How and when is the noon prayer performed on Friday?
- At the time of an epidemic disease, is it a sin not to perform Friday prayer?
- Jama’ah Salah (Prayer in Congregation)
- When and how are the missed (qada) prayers performed? Are the sunnah prayers performed as well?
- What is the decree about missed (qada) prayers? When and how are they performed? How should one say niyyah (intention) for them?
- How is intention made for qada (missed) prayers? If a person does not know how many prayers he has missed, what should he do?
- Friday Prayer
- Is it permissible to intend to combine prayers if there is a possibility of missing a prayer? and In what situations can one imitate other madhhabs (sects) and combine prayers?
- Prayers in Congregation
- What is the wisdom behind reading the Quran silently during the day and aloud at night in the prayers? Why do we read silently in the 3rd and 4th rak'ahs of fard prayers?