Submitted by on Fri, 26/09/2008 - 18:01
Dear Brother / Sister,
Qur'an is the word of Allah. It is not permissible to touch the Qur'an without ablution since in the 79th verse of the surah Al-waqıa (56th surah) it is said; “(the Quran) Which none shall touch but those who are clean.” Although some commentators comment on this verse in another way, Islamic scholars have reached a consensus that touching the Qur’an without ablution is not permissible.
However, one without ablution can read Qur’an without touching it and one can recite the surahs those one knows by heart.
If one needs to perform full ablution (ghusl), one cannot read or recite the Qur’an or cannot touch it as well. One can recite some verses and surahs like Ayatal- Kursi, Fatiha and Ikhlas with the intention of praying.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to recite the holy Qur'an without taking ghusl (Major Ablution)?
- about quran
- Is it permissible for menstruating women to read the Holy Qur’an and its translation; is it also necessary to cover the head while reading?
- Can I read islamic books with out wudu
- Can I read Quran without wudhu and lying down on bed?
- Can women touch the translations of the Qur'an when they are in menstruation period and when they do not have wudu (ablution)?
- the Qur’an, an-Nisa, 4:82
- What is the benefit of listening to the recitation of the Holy Qur'an even though one cannot understand its context and meaning?
- Is it permissible for a Muslim to read the translations of the Qur'an in English in order to understand the meaning?
- reading Quran during periods