Will Azrail (the Angel of Death) take the spirits of the angels and his own spirit before or after the Doomsday we will experience?
Submitted by on Mon, 20/06/2011 - 11:21
Dear Brother / Sister,
A verse related to the issue is as follows:
The Trumpet will (just) be sounded, when all that are in the heavens and on earth will swoon, except such as it will please Allah (to exempt). Then will a second one be sounded, when, behold they will be standing and looking on! (az-Zumar, 68)
In the verse above, it is stated that the Trumpet will be sounded twice. In verse 87 of the chapter an-Naml, it is stated that the Trumpet will sounded once before those two blows. Therefore, Hazrat Prophet (pbuh) mentions three blows of the Trumpet. 1. Nafhatu’l faza’ (terrifying sound) 2. Nafhatu’s-sa’q (killing sound) 3. Nafhatu’l qiyama (resurrection sound). Exceptions: The four archangels. Some interpreters also mention Hamala al- Arsh (Carriers of the Throne) or the angels of Ridwan, houris, Malik (the angel in charge of Hell) and Zabanis (angels of Hell) among the exceptions.
According to Anas b. Malik and Suddi, the ones that are excepted by the verse are Jibril, Mikail, Israfil and Azrail. After Allah takes the spirits of all creatures, only those angels are left. Then, He takes their lives and only Allah remains. (Tabari Tafsir)
Angels also have spirits. Therefore, they will die like all of the living beings.
Azrail (may Allah be pleased with him) is in charge of taking the spirits of the living beings. After taking the spirits of all human beings and other living beings, he will take his own spirit by the order of Allah. When he takes his own spirit in the end, he produces such a sound that it exceeds the skies and goes to the earth.
Then, every living being will die. Allah gave Azrail the duty to take their spirits. It is the preference of Allah. (see Marifetname - Erzurumlu İbrahim Hakkı Hazretleri)
Questions on Islam
- How long does it take Azrail to remove a person’s soul?
- How can a deaf person hear when Sur (the Trumpet) is blown?
- Surah Al-Anbiya, Verse 35- “Every soul shall have a taste of death.” What does this verse mean?
- Are angels Allah's daughters?
- Surah 78. An-Naba' (The Tidings, The Announcement)
- How will living beings be questioned when Doomsday strikes?
- THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT JINN
- The Major Angels and their Duties
- According to some hadiths, people will be resurrected in the form of monkeys or pigs on the Day of Judgment due to their sins. Is it used in the real sense or metaphorically in hadiths?
- How can Hazrat Azrael (A.S.) (The Angel of Death) take away the spirits of thousands of people by himself?