What is the wisdom behind eating with the right hand or not eating with the left hand?
- Is it possible for us to make a scientific explanation about this?
Submitted by on Tue, 29/01/2019 - 10:21
Dear Brother / Sister,
- Islam is a religion of good manners and discipline. The use of the right hand and the left hand should be evaluated within this discipline. It is possible to explain the issue as follows:
The concept right is a symbol of nice things and the concept left is a symbol of bad things. For instance,
- The word right is used for Allah’s power:
“No just estimate have they made of Allah, such as is due to Him: On the Day of Judgment the whole of the earth will be but His handful, and the heavens will be rolled up in His right hand: Glory to Him! High is He above the Partners they attribute to Him!” (az-Zumar, 39/67)
- The books of deeds of bad people are given to their left hands and good people to their right hands.
“Then he that will be given his Record in his right hand will say: "Ah here! Read ye my Record! I did really understand that my Account would (One Day) reach me!" And he will be in a life of Bliss, In a Garden on high.”(al-Haaqqa, 69/19-22)
“And he that will be given his Record in his left hand, will say: "Ah! Would that my Record had not been given to me! And that I had never realized how my account (stood)! "Ah! Would that (Death) had made an end of me!'” (al-Haaqqa, 69/25-27)
- All of the elements of the universe – all of which are beautiful and wonderful divine works of art – move from right to left. Everything, from atoms to stars and from suns to systems, is based on this distinguished law.
- The one that records the good deeds of man among the angels of “kiraman katibin (honorable scribes)” is on the right shoulder of man and is in a position of giving orders; and the one that records the bad deeds of man is on the left shoulder of man is in a position of receiving orders.
- When one enters a mosque, which is a nice place where man worships, he enters with the right foot; when one enters the toilet, he enters with the left foot.
- When a person circumambulates the Kaaba, he moves from right to left.
- Similarly, when a person uses his right hand when he eats and his left hand when he cleans his private parts after emptying the bowels and urinating, he acts based on this principle.
- It is understood that the Quranic and prophetic principles in Islam are in compliance with the ontological principles that are valid in the universe. This is another indication of the religion of Islam being the religion of fitrah (creation/nature).
“So set thou thy face steadily and truly to the Faith: (establish) Allah´s handiwork according to the pattern on which He has made mankind: no change (let there be) in the work (wrought) by Allah: that is the standard Religion: but most among mankind understand not.” (ar-Rum, 30/30)
Questions on Islam
- Those Who are Chained
- Do I have to share my husband with someone else in Paradise? Is it not unfair?
- Will the good deeds also be shown on the day of reckoning?
- Those who are chained
- Should a Muslim place his/her right foot first when leaving his/her home for prayer?
- What is the decree about eating with the left hand? How did the incident in which the Prophet (pbuh) damned a person who ate with his left hand take place and what is the wisdom behind it?
- Is it sunnah to enter a place with the right foot and exit with the left foot, to start doing things from the right? Will you show the resources regarding the issue?
- What is the sunnah way of sitting while eating?
- Is there a hadith stating that the world is on the ox and fish? If there is, how should we understand it?
- Why does Allah ask questions?