What is the decree about eating with the left hand? How did the incident in which the Prophet (pbuh) damned a person who ate with his left hand take place and what is the wisdom behind it?
- How did the incident in which the Prophet (pbuh) damned a person who ate with his left hand take place and what is the wisdom behind it?
- Is that damning valid for everybody who eats with the left hand?
- Is eating with the left hand without any obligation and due to simple reasons like being in a hurry regarded as opposition to the Sunnah?
Submitted by on Thu, 29/11/2018 - 11:18
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is not haram to eat with the left hand. However, a person who does so does not act in accordance with the manners of eating of the Prophet (pbuh) and is deprived of thawabs. Therefore, it is necessary to get used to eating with the right hand.
All states of the Prophet (pbuh) are wonderful. We sometimes see so much wisdom and mercy behind his states that seem contrary to mind when we search. The questions you ask can be evaluated based on the same criteria.
The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) sees somebody eating with his left hand. He says,
"Eat with your right hand." The man says,
"I cannot eat with my right hand." The Messenger of Allah damns him by saying,
"You will not be able to raise it.” After that, the man could not raise his left hand. (Muslim, Ashriba: 107, no. 2021; Ibn Hibban, Sahih, 8:152; Qadi Iyad, ash-Shifa, 1:328-329; Ali al-Qari, Sharhush-Shifa, 1:666.)
A punishment for lying is in question here. For, the Prophet (pbuh) ordered that person by saying, “Eat with your right hand”. That person said, “I cannot eat with my right hand” though he could. There are several wise and compassionate outcomes of the Prophet’s statement, “You will not be able to raise it” against this disrespectful and dishonest attitude:
1. Telling a lie is not a good thing and it causes man to be punished.
2. That the person is punished in this world instead of the hereafter is actually a prayer for him, not damnation.
Questions on Islam
- What is the sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) regarding eating?
- What are the hadiths of the Prophet about commerce and commercial ethics?
- What is the Sunnah? Could you explain the importance of Sunnah in Islam?
- Were there any handicapped companions during the time when the Prophet (PBUH) lived? How did the Prophet (pbuh) treat them?
- The Prophet was told the following in a dream: "The one whose head you saw being crushed is the one whom Allah taught the Quran but who slept at night and did not act in accordance with it during the day" What is meant by sleeping at night in this hadith?
- Is the following statement a hadith: “If a person eats seven ajwa dates, poison and magic will not affect him”?
- 4. Makkah Period of Hazrath Muhammad
- Will you give information about Musab Bin Umayr?
- What is an illegitimate child? What does the religion of Islam say about this term?
- Will Jesus Christ descend again upon earth before the Doom breaks out?