What is the decree about eating with the left hand? How did the incident in which the Prophet (pbuh) damned a person who ate with his left hand take place and what is the wisdom behind it?
- How did the incident in which the Prophet (pbuh) damned a person who ate with his left hand take place and what is the wisdom behind it?
- Is that damning valid for everybody who eats with the left hand?
- Is eating with the left hand without any obligation and due to simple reasons like being in a hurry regarded as opposition to the Sunnah?
Submitted by on Thu, 29/11/2018 - 11:18
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is not haram to eat with the left hand. However, a person who does so does not act in accordance with the manners of eating of the Prophet (pbuh) and is deprived of thawabs. Therefore, it is necessary to get used to eating with the right hand.
All states of the Prophet (pbuh) are wonderful. We sometimes see so much wisdom and mercy behind his states that seem contrary to mind when we search. The questions you ask can be evaluated based on the same criteria.
The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) sees somebody eating with his left hand. He says,
"Eat with your right hand." The man says,
"I cannot eat with my right hand." The Messenger of Allah damns him by saying,
"You will not be able to raise it.” After that, the man could not raise his left hand. (Muslim, Ashriba: 107, no. 2021; Ibn Hibban, Sahih, 8:152; Qadi Iyad, ash-Shifa, 1:328-329; Ali al-Qari, Sharhush-Shifa, 1:666.)
A punishment for lying is in question here. For, the Prophet (pbuh) ordered that person by saying, “Eat with your right hand”. That person said, “I cannot eat with my right hand” though he could. There are several wise and compassionate outcomes of the Prophet’s statement, “You will not be able to raise it” against this disrespectful and dishonest attitude:
1. Telling a lie is not a good thing and it causes man to be punished.
2. That the person is punished in this world instead of the hereafter is actually a prayer for him, not damnation.
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about placing the right hand over the left while performing prayers? Did the Prophet perform prayers by holding his hands at his sides? Are prayers performed holding hands at sides according to the Maliki madhhab?
- Why is the right side more virtuous in Islam? For instance, to salute to the right side, to eat with the right hand...
- Will you give information about conceit?
- How was the body language and speaking style of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)?
- Should a Muslim place his/her right foot first when leaving his/her home for prayer?
- Is it sunnah to enter a place with the right foot and exit with the left foot, to start doing things from the right? Will you show the resources regarding the issue?
- It is seen that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) boasts in some hadiths. What is the wisdom behind it?
- What is the sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) regarding eating?
- What is the decree on reading ayat al-kursiyy and blowing on the body in tasbihat after prayers? Did the Prophet do something like that (read the chapters of al-Falaq and an-Nas and blow before going to bed)?
- How did Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) welcome his guests?