What should a sick person do while fasting in Ramadan?
Submitted by on Tue, 25/08/2009 - 18:37
Dear Brother / Sister,
There is no drawback in sleeping because of an illness or fatigue. The fasting person can sleep on condition that s/he does not skip such obligations as the prayers.
Those who are worried that if they fast their illness will deteriorate or will be lengthened, and those who suffer when they fast because of their illness, are permitted not to fast in the month of Ramadan and to compensate for it (by fasting at another time) after they recover.
This verse in the Qur'an points out that:
“O you who believe! Prescribed for you is the Fast, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may deserve God's protection (against the temptations of your carnal soul) and attain piety. (Fasting is for) a fixed number of days. If any of you is so ill that he cannot fast, or on a journey, he must fast the same number of other days. But for those who can no longer manage to fast, there is redemption (penance) by feeding a person in destitution (for each day missed, or giving him the same amount in money). Yet better it is for him who volunteers greater good (by either giving more, or fasting in case of recovery), and that you should fast (when you are able to) is better for you, if you but knew (the worth of fasting)” (The Qur’an, Al-Baqarah, 2:183-184)
The person, who is notified by a specialist that if s/he fasts, s/he will become ill, is also considered as ill.
Questions on Islam
- To what extent are friendships of chat right? How can the families that crack online be saved?
- In which situations is a person permitted not to fast?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- What is the penalty in the hereafter for a person who does not perform fasting in Ramadan without any excuse?
- Can ransom (fidyah) for fasting be given to a charity organization?
- Is it permissible for a person who does hard manual labor not to perform fasting? What are the excuses that makes it permissible for a person not to fast?
- How does Fasting Clean the Body? The World of Medicine is Investigating Fasting
- medication and fasting
- What are the excuses that make it permissbile not to fast in Ramadan?
- Will you write the verses of the Quran and Hadiths about Ramadan and Fasting?