From what race does Hz. Ibrahim came from?
Submitted by on Tue, 05/04/2016 - 18:35
Dear Brother / Sister,
We see the following hadith in a narration from Imam Muslim:
"Allah Almighty chose Ismail among the children of Ibrahim, Banu Kinana among the children of Ismail, Banu Kinana among the children of Quraysh, Banu Hashim from Quraysh and me from Banu Hashim." (Muslim, Fadail, 1)
Thus, he connects his lineage to Hz. Ismail, who was born in Makkah, grew up there and became a prophet there.
On the other hand, it is possible to learn from the Prophet's own statement what nation he belongs to . We will quote only three of the hadiths regarding the issue:
"I am a prophet; there is no lie in it. I am Abdulmuttalib's son. I am the most fluent speaker of Arabs; I am one of the children of Quraysh." (Faydu'l-Qadir , III/38. Hadith no: 2684)
"I will be the first one among Arabs to enter Paradise, Suhayb among Byzantines, Salman among Persians and Bilal among Abyssinians." (ibid. III/43, Hadith no: 2695)
"I am a real Arab. I am from the tribe of Quraysh. My language is the language of Banu Sa'd (the most fluent speakers of Arabic)" (ibid. III/44. Hadith no: 2696)
The hadiths above state clearly that the Prophet is an Arab and comes from an Arab lineage.
It is clearly stated in the Quran that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is an Arab. Verse 4 of the chapter of Ibrahim is evidence for it: "We sent not a messenger except (to teach) in the language of his (own) people, in order to make (things) clear to them." The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) emerged from his own nation and read them the Quran, which is in Arabic.
The following hadith, which was reported from Abu Dharr, explains the verse above:
"Allah Almighty sent every prophet with the language of his own nation." (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, II/522)
That the Prophet's lineage goes back to Hz. Ibrahim shows that both the Prophet and Hz. Ibrahim come from the same ancestors.
Arabs come from the progeny of Ismail, one of the sons of Ibrahim and Children of Israel come from the progeny of Ishaq (Isaac), the other son of Ibrahim. The Quran answers those who say Hz. Ibrahim was a Jew despite this fact as follows:
"Ye people of the Book! why dispute ye about Abraham, when the Torah and the Gospel were not revealed till after him? Have ye no understanding? Ah! Ye are those who fell to disputing (even) in matters of which ye had some knowledge! But why dispute ye in matters of which ye have no knowledge? It is Allah Who knows, and ye who know not! Abraham was not a Jew nor yet a Christian, but he was true in faith and bowed his will to Allah's (which is Islam) and he joined not gods with Allah." (Aal-i Imran, 3/65-67)
Questions on Islam
- What language did Hz Adam and Hz Eve speak? What language will be spoken in Paradise?
- Name of the nation/people that Isa (A.S) & Raulullah (S.AW)
- Will the language of Paradise be Arabic? Will Arabic be spoken in the hereafter? If so, is there a verse or hadith indicating this?
- Is our prophet Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) an Arab? What nationality is he?
- How did Zayd bin Thabit learn foreign languages? What methods did the Prophet (pbuh) teach him about learning a language?
- What does the phrase "pure descent" used for the Prophet (pbuh) mean?
- Will you give information about the life of Hz. Ismail (Ishmael) (pbuh)?
- Prophet Ismail [Ishmael] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Ibrahim [Abraham] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Yaqub [Jacob] (Peace be upon him)