What is perfect fast like?
Submitted by on Sun, 23/08/2009 - 03:28
Dear Brother / Sister,
A person intending to fast does not only stop eating and drinking. He makes his mouth and stomach fast; and he also sends his other faculties to help them.
Anyway, is not the perfect fast the one fasted in that way? Namely, along with the stomach the other faculties such as eyes, ears, the heart and imagination also perform a kind of fasting. Each of them starts performing its particular worship.
The fasting of tongue is abstaining from lying, back-biting, and indecent words, and being busy with worships such as Qur’an, dhikr (remembrance of Allah), glorifying Allah’s names, asking for Allah’s blessings on the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and praying to Allah for His forgiveness.
The fasting of eyes is not looking at what is forbidden. The fasting of ears is not listening to unnecessary words. Instead of those, eyes try to look in order to take lessons and ears try to listen to the true words and the Qur’an. Faculties such as heart, imagination and mind also think about favorable things.
In this way, since all faculties fast along with the stomach, man does not keep away from eating and drinking in vain and he approaches the perfect fast as a result.
According to Abu Hurayra’s (may Allah be pleased with him) relation, the Noble Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) stated as follows:
“There are some fasting people whose only benefit from their fasting is remaining without food and water.
There are some people who get up in the night and perform salat (prayer) but can not obtain anything except not sleeping enough.” (Ibn Majah, Siyam: 21)
Questions on Islam
- What is perfect fast like? How should a fasting person behave?
- Could you please give information about the role of food factor on controlling bodily appetites?
- What is perfect fast like?
- How should the attitudes of those who fast and who do not fast towards one another be?
- Why Ramadan, Why Fasting?
- What type of music is safe to listen on Ramadan?
- Could you give information about the qada (compensation) of missed fasts and paying ransom (fidyah) for those fasts?
- How does Fasting Clean the Body? The World of Medicine is Investigating Fasting
- Who is exempt from Sawm (fasting)?
- About death