What is the difference between Fard and Wajib ?
Submitted by on Mon, 13/12/2010 - 13:04
Dear Brother / Sister,
What is Fard?
Author: Mehmet Dikmen,
Fards are religious tasks and duties that are ordered to be fulfilled by definite and clear commands like making wudu, performing prayers, performing fasting and paying alms... Fard deeds are divide into two:
Fard al-Ayn: They are fards that are obligatory for each Muslim to fulfill. When one Muslim fulfills them, the other Muslims do not become exempt from them; for instance, performing prayers and fasting... Both performing prayers and fasting are religious obligations that every Muslim, without any exception, has to fulfill.
Fard al-Kifaya: They are fards that are not obligatory for each Muslim; when some Muslims fulfill them, the other Muslims become exempt from them. If nobody fulfills them, the whole community becomes responsible and sinful for them. If some Muslims perform the janazah prayer when a Muslim dies, the other Muslims become exempt from it. However, if nobody performs it, all Muslims become responsible for it. The reward of fard al-kifaya belongs to the Muslims who fulfill it. If it is not fulfilled by anybody, the sin belongs to all Muslims.
What is Wajib?
Author: Mehmet Dikmen,
They are religious tasks and duties that are not demanded as clearly as fards but are certain with strong evidence; for instance, sacrificing an animal, performing witr and eid prayers.
Questions on Islam
- What is Fard?
- Why should a woman who menstruates perform fasting as qada later since she does not perform prayers as qada?
- What are the details for performing "Akika and Qurban" (sacrifice)? for whom Akika and Qurban (sacrifice) fard?
- What are our duties toward the Quran?
- What is Sunnah?
- Is it permissible to unite the intention (niyyah) for a supererogatory prayer and a missed prayer? That is, is it permissible to make intention for both a missed prayer and a supererogatory prayer while starting a prayer?
- Wajibs of prayer
- What is the decree for performing salah in congregation according to the madhhabs?
- 6- Delusion originating from searching the best deed
- What is the importance of sunnah prayers? Is it enough to perform only fard prayers?