Is there any objection for a musafir (traveler) to perform his/her prayers fully instead of shortening them?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 11:21
Dear Brother / Sister,
If you wish, you can perform your prayers fully in a long journey instead of shortening them. It is permissible for a traveler (musafir) to perform a fard (obligatory) four-rak'ah prayer fully without shortening it. The two rak'ah of this prayer is accepted as nafilah (supererogatory).
There are two different views as to when someone becomes a musafir:
1- Those considering the distance. According to that view, if a person travels to a distance of 90 km, he shortens his prayers because he is regarded a musafir.
2- Those considering the time. According to them, a three-day journey makes a person musafir. They can only shorten their prayers then. Otherwise, they cannot shorten their prayers.
According to Hanafis, a musafir has to shorten the four-rak'ah fard prayers to two rak'ahs. However, if he prays it as four, it is valid.
According to Shafiis, it is better to pray fully even if one is a musafir. Let us suppose that we perform our prayers fully when we are really musafirs; our prayers will be valid. If we are not musafirs really, then shortening the prayers makes our prayers invalid. Then, we think that it is better to perform the fard prayers fully.
However, it is necessary to accept a view and act accordingly and not to criticize the people accepting other views.
Questions on Islam
- If the environment in which we are musafir (traveler) is comfortable, is there any objection for performing prayers in full? Which one is better; performing prayers fully or shortening them?
- Should bus drivers and workers on ships who are constantly travelling perform their prayers by shortening them according to the decrees about musafir (traveler)?
- Is it permissbile not to fast while on trip during Ramadan?
- Why are fard prayers shortened but sunnah prayers not shortened while travelling (when a person is musafir)?
- How many kilometers should a man go in order to be regarded a musafir (traveler)?
- BEING A MUSAFIR (TRAVELER)
- Prayers of a Traveler (Musafir)
- Is Friday (Jumua) prayer be performed while travelling?
- Is it permissible to intend to combine prayers if there is a possibility of missing a prayer? and In what situations can one imitate other madhhabs (sects) and combine prayers?
- What are the necessary qualities for an Imam to have in order to lead a congregational prayer?