Why are fard prayers shortened but sunnah prayers not shortened while travelling (when a person is musafir)?
Submitted by on Mon, 21/03/2016 - 19:02
Dear Brother / Sister,
Fard prayers have to be performed; they are shortened while travelling to provide ease. However, there is no obligation for sunnah prayers. If a person has difficulty in performing sunnah prayers while travelling, he can abandon them. If there is no problem, he performs them as four rak'ahs.
Questions on Islam
- If the environment in which we are musafir (traveler) is comfortable, is there any objection for performing prayers in full? Which one is better; performing prayers fully or shortening them?
- Is there any objection for a musafir (traveler) to perform his/her prayers fully instead of shortening them?
- Prayers of a Traveler (Musafir)
- Is it permissbile not to fast while on trip during Ramadan?
- Why do we need to read Subhanaka supplication when we stand up for the third rak’ah after the first sitting when we perform the sunnah prayers of the afternoon (asr) and night (isha) prayers?
- What is the importance of sunnah prayers? Is it enough to perform only fard prayers?
- Should bus drivers and workers on ships who are constantly travelling perform their prayers by shortening them according to the decrees about musafir (traveler)?
- Prayers in Congregation
- Is it permissible to intend to combine prayers if there is a possibility of missing a prayer? and In what situations can one imitate other madhhabs (sects) and combine prayers?
- How many kilometers should a man go in order to be regarded a musafir (traveler)?