In the salah, if we forget an ayah while reading a short additional chapter like Surah al-Ikhlas, must we perform sajdah as-sahw?
Submitted by on Sat, 25/04/2015 - 11:49
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is makruh to skip an ayah while reading an additional chapter. Howver, it is not makruh if it is done by accident. It can be corrected if one notices at that moment.
It is wajib to perform sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) if one abandons reading an additional chapter after Surah al-Fatiha. Likewise; if one reads a very short ayah along with Surah al-Fatiha, it is necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw according to the views of some of the mujtahid imams. (at-Tebyin / Zaylai) Nothing is necessary according to Abu Hanifa.
Even if one reads only two short ayahs after Surah al-Fatiha, goes to ruku accidentally and notices this in the ruku and comes back, completes three ayahs, it is wajib to perform sajdah as-sahw. (see Celal Yıldırım, Kaynaklarıyla İslam Fıkhı, Uysal Kitabevi: 1/420-421)
Questions on Islam
- What should a person who forgets to read zamm-i surah (additional chapter or verses) after reciting al-Fatiha but goes to ruku and remembers it there do?
- What are the situations that necessitate sajdah as-sahw? Is it necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw in sunnah prayers?
- What should a person who reads other verses before the chapter of al-Fatiha in prayer do?
- Is sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) necessary if someone reads surah of al-Fatiha instead of at-Tahiyyat by mistake in the first or last sitting of prayer?
- When is Sajdah as-Sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) required? Where is it be performed?
- Does forgetting to recite Qunut supplications in the witr prayer necessitate sajdah as-sahw?
- Sajdah as-Sahw
- How do I rectify this mistake in a prayer?
- If I forget to recite an additional surah (chapter), will my prayer be valid?
- What should I do if I am late for the congregational prayer and the imam performs sajdah as-sahw?