What should a person who reads other verses before the chapter of al-Fatiha in prayer do?
- A person makes a mistake related to reading the chapter of al-Fatiha in prayer in a rak’ah in which an additional chapter or verses are read due to absentmindedness and reads it before al-Fatiha.
Question 1: What should he do if he remembers that he has not read al-Fatiha before finishing the additional chapter or verses?
Question 2: What should he do if he remembers that he has not read al-Fatiha after finishing the additional chapter or verses?
Submitted by on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 10:19
Dear Brother / Sister,
He needs to read al-Fatiha as soon as he remembers and read the additional chapter or verses again. He needs to perform sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) at the end of the prayer.
If a person reads another chapter or even a letter of it by mistake before al-Fatiha, he reads al-Fatiha first and after that, he reads the additional chapter or verses again. He performs sajdah as-sahw at the end of the prayer.
If a person remembers such a mistake even when he is in ruku’, he stands up again and reads them in due order; then, he performs sajdah as-sahw at the end of the prayer.
If a person hesitates whether he has read al-Fatiha or not, he reads al-Fatiha if he has not read another chapter. However, if he has read another chapter, he does not read al-Fatiha because it is more probable for him to have read al-Fatiha. However, if he has a conviction that overweighs, he should act accordingly.
Questions on Islam
- What should a person who forgets to read zamm-i surah (additional chapter or verses) after reciting al-Fatiha but goes to ruku and remembers it there do?
- What are the situations that necessitate sajdah as-sahw? Is it necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw in sunnah prayers?
- Sajdah as-Sahw
- When is Sajdah as-Sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) required? Where is it be performed?
- Does sajdah as-sahw become necessary if a person reads verses from different chapters after reading the chapter of al-Fatiha?
- Wajibs of prayer
- Is sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) necessary if someone reads surah of al-Fatiha instead of at-Tahiyyat by mistake in the first or last sitting of prayer?
- Reciting aloud while performing prayer
- In the salah, if we forget an ayah while reading a short additional chapter like Surah al-Ikhlas, must we perform sajdah as-sahw?
- How does a person who catches up with the imam after the first rak’ah (third rak’ah) in a four-rak’ah prayer (masbuq) complete his prayer?