What is necessary to do if the chapter of al-Fatiha is not read in the 3rd and 4th rak'ahs of fard prayers?
Submitted by on Wed, 02/01/2019 - 10:38
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is wajib to read the chapter of al-Fatiha and an additional chapter in both rak'ahs of two-rak'ah prayers and the first two rak'ahs of three-rak'ah and four-rak'ah fard prayers. If al-Fatiha is abandoned in the first or second rak'ah or if a little of it is read, sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) becomes necessary; if most of it is read, sajdah as-sahw does not become necessary. (1)
It is wajib to read the chapter of al-Fatiha and an additional chapter in every rak'ah of sunnah, nafilah and wajib prayers. If it is abandoned in any rak'ah, sajdah as-sahw becomes necessary since a wajib is abandoned. (2)
If a person does not read anything in the last two rak'ahs of four-rak'ah fard prayers and the last rak'ah of the fard of the evening prayer and if he does not glorify Allah, nothing becomes necessary according to the narration of Imam Abu Hanifa reported by Imam Abu Yusuf. This narration is regarded more reliable and hence is used as a basis for fatwa. (3)
(1) Fatawayi Qadihan.
(2) Bahr ar-Raiq / Ibn Nujaym.
(3) Fatawayi Qadihan – Fatawa al-Hindiyya.
(Celal Yıldırım, Kaynaklarıyla İslam Fıkhı, Uysal Kitabevi: 1/422-423)
Questions on Islam
- In what order should we read chapters of the Quran in prayer? Is it makruh to read them without an order? Will you give information about the lengths of chapters and the order of reading them in prayer?
- How should a person who forgets what rak'ah he is performing in witr prayer or any other prayer complete his prayer?
- What should a person who forgets the number of rak’ahs he has performed or who makes a mistake about rak’ahs do?
- Will you give information about the duas (supplications) and tasbihat (glorifications) read in prayer (salah) and thawabs given for them?
- What are the things that prayer (salah) makes man gain?
- Why do we read the chapter of al-Fatiha for the spirits of our dead people?
- It is said that there is no qada (missed) prayer in the Quran and hence there is no prayer called qada prayer. Is it true? Will you explain it with fiqh evidences?
- Is it not useless and impossible to kill an apostate (murtad)?
- Can the noon prayer be performed five minutes before the time period for the afternoon prayer starts?
- How was the body language and speaking style of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)?