What is necessary to do if the chapter of al-Fatiha is not read in the 3rd and 4th rak'ahs of fard prayers?
Submitted by on Wed, 02/01/2019 - 10:38
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is wajib to read the chapter of al-Fatiha and an additional chapter in both rak'ahs of two-rak'ah prayers and the first two rak'ahs of three-rak'ah and four-rak'ah fard prayers. If al-Fatiha is abandoned in the first or second rak'ah or if a little of it is read, sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) becomes necessary; if most of it is read, sajdah as-sahw does not become necessary. (1)
It is wajib to read the chapter of al-Fatiha and an additional chapter in every rak'ah of sunnah, nafilah and wajib prayers. If it is abandoned in any rak'ah, sajdah as-sahw becomes necessary since a wajib is abandoned. (2)
If a person does not read anything in the last two rak'ahs of four-rak'ah fard prayers and the last rak'ah of the fard of the evening prayer and if he does not glorify Allah, nothing becomes necessary according to the narration of Imam Abu Hanifa reported by Imam Abu Yusuf. This narration is regarded more reliable and hence is used as a basis for fatwa. (3)
(1) Fatawayi Qadihan.
(2) Bahr ar-Raiq / Ibn Nujaym.
(3) Fatawayi Qadihan – Fatawa al-Hindiyya.
(Celal Yıldırım, Kaynaklarıyla İslam Fıkhı, Uysal Kitabevi: 1/422-423)
Questions on Islam
- What are the situations that necessitate sajdah as-sahw? Is it necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw in sunnah prayers?
- Wajibs of prayer
- What is the wisdom behind reciting only al-Fatiha in the 3rd and 4th rak'ahs of fard (obligatory) prayers but not reciting zamm-i surah (additional chapter or verses)?
- When is Sajdah as-Sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) required? Where is it be performed?
- Sajdah as-Sahw
- Reciting aloud while performing prayer
- Does sajdah as-sahw become necessary if a person reads verses from different chapters after reading the chapter of al-Fatiha?
- Is sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) necessary if someone reads surah of al-Fatiha instead of at-Tahiyyat by mistake in the first or last sitting of prayer?
- In what order should we read chapters of the Quran in prayer? Is it makruh to read them without an order? Will you give information about the lengths of chapters and the order of reading them in prayer?
- What is the amount of qiraah that is fard in prayer? Is it permissible to stop anywhere while reading a long chapter from the Quran in prayer?