Is sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) necessary if someone reads surah of al-Fatiha instead of at-Tahiyyat by mistake in the first or last sitting of prayer?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 11:14
Dear Brother / Sister,
If surah of al-Fatiha is read in the first tasahhud, it is necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw.
If surah of al-Fatiha is recited in the last tasahhud, it is also necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw. Performing sajdah as-sahw becomes necessary for the person who reads surah of al-Fatiha in tasahhud at first and then at-tahiyyat. If he/she sits in the length of tasahhud and reads at tahiyyat and then al-Fatiha, nothing is required. (al-Muhit / Radiyuddin Sarakhsi; Celal Yıldırım, Kaynaklarıyla İslam Fıkhı, 1/420-421)
Questions on Islam
- What are the situations that necessitate sajdah as-sahw? Is it necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw in sunnah prayers?
- When is Sajdah as-Sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) required? Where is it be performed?
- What should a person who forgets to read zamm-i surah (additional chapter or verses) after reciting al-Fatiha but goes to ruku and remembers it there do?
- Sajdah as-Sahw
- In the salah, if we forget an ayah while reading a short additional chapter like Surah al-Ikhlas, must we perform sajdah as-sahw?
- Does forgetting to recite Qunut supplications in the witr prayer necessitate sajdah as-sahw?
- What should a person who reads other verses before the chapter of al-Fatiha in prayer do?
- Does sajda as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) become necessary if we change the places of the invocations that we recite in ruku and sajdah?
- Does uttering basmala before the dua of at-Tahiyyatu invalidate the prayer or does this necessitate sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness)?
- What is the wisdom behind reciting only al-Fatiha in the 3rd and 4th rak'ahs of fard (obligatory) prayers but not reciting zamm-i surah (additional chapter or verses)?