It is said that plants have some feelings. Do they have spirits? If they have no spirits, then how can we explain the existence of some feelings that they have?
Submitted by on Sat, 24/09/2011 - 13:17
Dear Brother / Sister,
Plants form the lowest level of the living beings. When you break off a branch of a tree and plant it, the laws of growth and development function and a new individual forms.
In plants, there is no spirit in the sense that we know. Some laws like growth, development and differentiation carry out the duties of the spirit in plants.
Some feelings and acts seen in the living things including human beings are produced by the effects of some hormones and enzymes. Man hears a sound. That sound causes the formation of some secretion in the body, and tears come down his eyes.
The hormone of growth in plants moves away from the sunlight. When the sunlight hits the stem of a plant that is put in next to the window, the growth hormones accumulate at the back side of the stem, which receives less sunlight, that is, the side that faces inside the room. The growth hormones that accumulate there cause that part of the stem to grow more; an asymmetric form occurs since the part of the stem that faces inside the room grows more and the part that faces the sunlight grows less. Consequently, the stem of the plant leans outward.
This state is explained as the behavior of the plant. With this behavior, the plant turns its face toward the light. Thus, it benefits more from the light. Here, there is no spirit that arranges the act in the sense that it happens in human beings. However, there are laws of growth and differentiation that can function like that spirit to a certain extent.
It has been determined that there happen some differences in the behavior of the plants as a result of some secretions. We can summarize one of them as follows:
Electrodes are placed on the leaves of a plant and the electric circuit is completed. An ammeter that measures the strength of the electric current, a graph paper and a device that can draw graphs based on the strength of the current on the graph are placed on the circuit. Somebody breaks off a part from the plant. Then, when that person who has broken off that part from the plant passes in front of the plant, the strength of the current increases and a different graph is drawn. When other people pass, the plant does not react like that.
This act and similar ones are shown as evidence for the existence of feelings in plants; these feelings are noticed by different strengths of current and the secretion of different enzymes and hormones. The plant reacts based on the enzymes and hormones that are secreted in the environment that it lives.
The reactions that are conscious in human beings exist in the form of feelings or behavior in plants.
Questions on Islam
- Do animals and plants have spirits?
- Do animals and plants have spirits?
- Question 36: Why are foster siblings (milk siblings) not allowed to marry? Is there a scientific study about milk kinship?
- Can there be a logical explanation related to the existence of the hereafter? Will you evaluate the possibilities for the existence or non-existence of a life after this worldly life?
- Will you give information about the chemistry of love?
- THE WONDERFUL DESIGN IN THE WATER TRANSPORT VESSELS OF PLANTS
- Question 20: The following is stated in verses 6 and 7 of the chapter of at-Tariq in the Quran: He is created from a drop emitted- proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs. Evolutionists say that this verse is not scientific.
- Question 10: How would you explain the fact that apes act in a similar way to humans?
- The following is stated in verse 7 of the chapter of at-Tariq in the Quran: “He is created from a drop emitted- Proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs:” Evolutionists say that the verse above is not scientific. What is the truth about it?