Is it permissible to pray in front of the mirror?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/05/2015 - 17:01
Dear Brother / Sister,
There are some deeds which are considered makrooh (abominable) during the prayer; though they do not invalidate the prayer, they overshadow the spiritual pleasure and zest of the prayer which are considered to be the spirit of it. So, it is necessary to be careful about it.
There are many deeds in prayer that are considered makrooh. They can be learnt in detail from fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) books. However, it is not possible to see every deed that is makrooh in every book. The aforementioned subject is one of them.
There is a general rule on this issue. Things that prevent the praying man from focusing on the prayer wholly, that is, the things that harm the khushu (humbleness) in prayer; anything that distracts attention is included in the group of makrooh (abominable) deeds.
If things such as mirrors or windows and some sort of scenery that are in front of us distract our attention and keep us busy and thus harm the khushu (humbleness) of the prayer in places outside the mosque, they are definitely regarded as makrooh. However, if the mirror, window or scenery do not distract our attention, it is not considered makrooh.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to perform prayer when the computer or television is on?
- What should we do to perform prayers in khushu’ (awe)?
- Is it permissible to pray in dark? Will the prayer which is performed in dark be valid since the place of sajdah is not properly visible?
- Is it permissible for a Muslim to close his/her eyes without any excuse while praying?
- Hanzala hadith, khushu (humbleness) and peace in prayer
- Is it permissible to pray in a room when the TV is on?
- Does crying invalidate the prayer (salah) and wudu?
- Is it permissible for a man and women to pray without socks? Could anybody perform prayers barefoot?
- What does khushu (humbleness in prayer) mean? What should be done in order to perform prayer in khushu (humbly) and to get rid of heedlessness?
- Performing Prayers Quickly